California permit for a pole barn

/ California permit for a pole barn #1  

TheLorax

Tractor
johnDeere
I'm finding that for my area (which is lake county) a pole barn construction is not permitable and one would need to have an engineer sign off on it and then present plans to the planning department for approval. I think this is for pretty much all of California, not sure how it works if a county can over ride the state, but the state building standards commission does not recognize a pole barn construction as a viable building method.

This seems insane to me because everything I've been reading on the internet says that pole barns are cheaper, at least as strong as other standard foundation construction methods, and quicker to build. Anyway, wondering if anyone here from California knows if there are ways around this? I guess if I have to hire an engineer and go through all that it will be more expensive and more of a hassle than it is worth?

/ California permit for a pole barn #2  
   / California permit for a pole barn #3  
Most of the kits and contractor erected unis have all engineering already done except the local site adapt to soil and local code issues. OR and WA pole structures are still allowed but a permit and engineering are required.

Ron

/ California permit for a pole barn #4  
I'm finding that for my area (which is lake county) a pole barn construction is not permitable and one would need to have an engineer sign off on it and then present plans to the planning department for approval. I think this is for pretty much all of California, not sure how it works if a county can over ride the state, but the state building standards commission does not recognize a pole barn construction as a viable building method.

This seems insane to me because everything I've been reading on the internet says that pole barns are cheaper, at least as strong as other standard foundation construction methods, and quicker to build. Anyway, wondering if anyone here from California knows if there are ways around this? I guess if I have to hire an engineer and go through all that it will be more expensive and more of a hassle than it is worth?

Building code enforcement in CA is the responsibility of the county, not the state.

There's nothing special about a pole barn. For all structures larger than 120 sq ft, you need to file a plot plan that is very comprehensive. See the plot plan instructions for use in Tehama County, CA where I had my ranch until I sold it last year.

http://www.co.tehama.ca.us/images/stories/Building/PLOT PLAN REQ.050697.pdf

I had to go through the permitting process starting in 2005 for my 1800 sq ft house, 1100 sq ft metal shop building, for a 20 x 36 ft metal carport and for a 500 sq ft run in type equipment shed.

Under some conditions you can qualify for what's called an "ag exempt building permit". The info on these is here

http://www.co.tehama.ca.us/images/stories/Building/Ag Exempt Requirements from ubc.pdf

You're right. CA has some of the most stringent building permit regulations in the nation. It's a PITA but it helps to prevent your neighbors from erecting crap buildings that lower property values in your neighborhood.

And be advised that the county building departments do periodic drive by inspections of your property and check for new construction. If they can't find a building permit in the files, you can bet that they will be in contact with you pronto. They want their fee money and any fines that they can slap on.

Same thing when you sell your property and escrow opens. The building department will check the files so see if your buildings have been properly permitted, which can hold up the escrow closing until the fees and fines are paid.

Good luck and welcome to CA. Enjoy the weather.

/ California permit for a pole barn #6  
your not free living in cal.

That's a true statement. It ain't called the People's Republic of California for nuttin. I heard a trucker on the CB once declare as he crossed the state line "it's great to be back in the USA". Of course he was leaving CA and crossing into AZ. When traveling to other states, I always wait to cross the border before gassing up because it's usually about a buck less per gallon.

/ California permit for a pole barn #7  
Better change your profile from Idaho to Peoples Republic of California.

You would have been better off to stay on Idaho.

/ California permit for a pole barn #8  
As flusher said... and it's not unique to California, I went through the same process here in Tasmania when I had a carport + covered entertainment area attached to my house. Architect plans submitted (including rain water management), time-period to complete, final building inspection by the Shire/County. Mostly it's "Townie" regulations that have spilt over to rural. There's a requirement to 'publish' your plans/proposal in case your neighbours have objections; this is usually waved for rural.

I had to do the process again when I had my 5-bay shed built. A lot of 'fees' were waved because it's an 'agricultural' building. The building "class" construction standard regarding exposure to wind is important.

Google Earth allows 'them' to see if anything new has been built that they don't know about.

Mind you, once they've signed off on the completed structure(s) they're bloody quick to up your property tax assessment!

/ California permit for a pole barn #9  
Can you imagine how long it would have taken this country to spread from shore to shore if everything built had to be permitted? There are a lot of sod roof houses, early clap board farm houses and such that would never have passed an inspection. Oddly, a lot of those structures are still standing over 100 years later despite that and this modern building that met all the codes and passed all the inspections fell over in a rain storm...

115804.jpg

"I'm from the government and I'm here to help." Still the scariest words in the English language.

/ California permit for a pole barn #10  
Can you imagine how long it would have taken this country to spread from shore to shore if everything built had to be permitted? There are a lot of sod roof houses, early clap board farm houses and such that would never have passed an inspection. Oddly, a lot of those structures are still standing over 100 years later despite that and this modern building that met all the codes and passed all the inspections fell over in a rain storm...

View attachment 466641

"I'm from the government and I'm here to help." Still the scariest words in the English language.