Yet another pole barn build

/ Yet another pole barn build #31  
I appreciate the interest. I have built these type (pole method) and standard construction buildings before and don't have any things I would do differently. That being said, I am working on it with whatever free time I have. I also have to work around when I can get a helping hand so some things that I will be doing, if I had the time and extra help, I would do differently and in a different order. We will see when I get to those parts of the build which way it takes me. I will say that it pays to get the pad as level as possible before you start. Also, I feel it is worth the effort to notch your posts to accept the header. It creates a direct load through the posts into the ground. The truss and roof load ( we have a lot of snow here ), doesn't have to be supported by carriage bolts if you do it this way. I am working full time in NYC and trying to get to the property, which is 4hrs away whenever I can. So, no new pics yet. I have the trusses, rest of the framing lumber, metal roofing and board and batten siding being delivered on the 27th of this month. Next scheduled building push is the weekend of June 4th. I will have lots of pics then.

Great! Share them all. I'm always looking for ideas. So far., so good

/ Yet another pole barn build
Got some deliveries this weekend. 21 trusses, purlins and the rough sawn board and batten siding. I had the trusses built for 4' on center. I will be placing them 2' on center for a stronger roof structure. The difference in the overall price in relation to the total project was minimal and I like the idea of having them spaced at that distance if I wish to add a storage area in the loft. Construction resumes this Friday.....

Boring pics of the materials.....

image-1631032117.jpg

image-373493117.jpg

image-228076303.jpg

image-2283649060.jpg

/ Yet another pole barn build #33  
Beautiful progress. The capboard really ties everything together, distributes the loads, and makes for much easier truss placement.IMG_0285.JPG

/ Yet another pole barn build #34  
Woody, how is the truss fastened to the cap board properly? Toe nailing and or hurricane plates?

Woody, how is the truss fastened to the cap board properly? Toe nailing and or hurricane plates?

Lenny,
I won't be using a cap board. The trusses will be fastened to the extended parts of the 6x6 posts every 8' feet. In between the posts, to boards that are fastened to the double 2x12 headers that span the length of the structure. In addition, I will have hurricane clips from the bottom cord to the header. If I was using a cap board, I would toe nail and use the hurricane clips.

Well, we had a good weekend. I did some prep work on Friday and had my son, brother and a friend come out and help with the trusses, roofing and siding. They are not skilled builders or carpenters but free labor is cheap. I knew I was going to have to be builder, foreman, carpenter and roofer since I was the only one with experience. All in all it was a good couple of days except for the pouring rain on Sunday that we worked through without lunch. They definitely were troopers and I worked them hard. Enjoy the pics.....

Friday prep work

image-3025045533.jpg

image-3759367735.jpg

Saturday, getting the trusses and purlins all up. I pre marked the purlins and trusses to accept each other at 24" on center. This made life easy as we just set them and looked for the marks which squared them up. Sunday got the roof on and started the siding.

image-3092019331.jpg

image-3284707305.jpg

image-463374516.jpg

image-752980477.jpg

image-1301582060.jpg

image-3470116107.jpg

image-2323052783.jpg

image-100845513.jpg

image-2459482065.jpg

image-2713058765.jpg

image-3790752957.jpg

Attachments

• image-2513196916.jpg
    image-2513196916.jpg
    507.6 KB · Views: 297
   / Yet another pole barn build #37  
Looks real good Woody -- you guys made some serious progress!

Looks real good Woody -- you guys made some serious progress!

Thanks! Looks like the next time I will have a chance to move ahead will be 2 weeks from now. One foot in front of the other is the only way to get there.....

Got in a day and a half on the barn. It was 90 degrees and humid so my uncle and I took it slow but put a descent dent in the siding.

Enjoy the pics......

image-3047020447.jpg

image-2029256906.jpg

image-1284478428.jpg

image-2040094450.jpg