Planting ground cover

/ Planting ground cover #1  

Wheeldog

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B2410HSD
We have an area in the front of our lot where we'd like to replace some lawn with some type of ground cover plants. It's not an overly large area, but it is really too large to use a string trimmer and too steep to mow with a push mower (these are the ways I've been mowing it).

I was wondering 1) How best to kill the grass - I have seen people use black plastic, or is the chemical alternative better? 2) Any ideas about a good ground cover that will be low to the ground and also pretty resistant to road salt? (We are in Zone 5).

Thanks.

/ Planting ground cover #2  
I've notice and ask on I89 in Vermont there using a spray around signs,culverts,gruard rails to kill the grass and hay for mowing...Orthor sells the product and maybe your lawn an care service center carries the product.

I guess your snow just about gone now w/these last four days of warm temps. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Planting ground cover
Thomas,

Thanks. I'll inquire about that Ortho spray.

As far as snow - we've got a few bare patches under trees, etc., but our snow cover here is still pretty healthy, maybe 12-16" in places. The golfers I know are not happy /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif. Any signs of Spring yet in the Granite State?

- Rob

/ Planting ground cover #4  
The best way to kill grass is to spray with Round-up. This is a very safe herbicide, and it's not soil active so it will not affect whatever you plant afterwards. It won't work however if the plant you spray it on isn't green and actively growing when you use it.

/ Planting ground cover #5  
Roundup or another brand with the same formula is the best way to get rid of the growth. It will kill off anything that is sprayed on green growth. If you have tough plants such as fescue or woody growth you will need a second application in about two weeks. leave the dead plants on the ground when you replant and they will act as a mulch for the new ones and help to prevent weed seeds from sprouting. Roundup is nonresidule so it won't affect the new plants or the ground. You might try Crown Vetch, it does well in poor soil and spreads well.

/ Planting ground cover
Thanks for the help!

Looks like I should wait until the grass in that area gets good and green then hit it with Roundup.