Willys cj3b

/ Willys cj3b #11  
I am enjoying your thread, brings back a lot of good memories of my old jeeps. :thumbsup:

/ Willys cj3b
Here are some picture of panels I built from sheets of steel. I made plywood forms and clamped the steel to it and bent the edges around the plywood to make the shapes. The top edge was bent all the way around into a u shape and I inserted a piece of 1/2" square tube in it for additional strength. I will try to find pictures of building the panels this week.

image-3152087234.jpg

image-2510113633.jpg

image-4060863287.jpg

image-3564566550.jpg

/ Willys cj3b
Here's a few pictures of items after I cleaned and painted them. The Warn hubs I cleaned up with a wire brush on my drill.

image-2095481582.jpg

Here is the engine after paint. I replace a few gaskets and the rear main while it was out but that was the extent for now. Also added an oil filter to the system.

image-434898992.jpg

Here is the hardtop I drove 10 hours to buy. I can't find these in central Florida so I found this one near Ashville, NC. Bought a body, hardtop, and lots of spare parts for $400. I was thrilled when I placed the top on my body and it actually fit.

image-1087720448.jpg

/ Willys cj3b #14  
Great thread and nice job so far. Those old keeps are really neat. I have a TJ for fun and love it.

/ Willys cj3b #15  
Hey all. I've enjoyed many great threads on here and thought I'd share something I've been working on if any are interested. And selfishly I'm hoping any interest in it will help to motivate me to finish!
Long story short I was given a 1953 cj3b from a great friend of mine. He and I played with it when we were in high school and then his family used it as a hunt jeep in Georgia. Even when in school I always tried to buy that jeep and they wouldn't let it go. Well we have been out of school for 19 years now and I finally got it! When I got it it had been parked at their hunt camp for 6 or so years.

View attachment 468381

Here it is the day I winched it on the trailer. Doesn't look too bad. Wrong, looks can be deceiving.
If anyone is interested let me know and I will add more updates

An original flat fender or flattie. Very popular and many still hunt them down.

/ Willys cj3b #16  
Love this thread. I love those old jeeps. Sadly not many around

/ Willys cj3b #17  
You are doing a great job of restoring a CJ who looked like its life was over. Hope you have many years of enjoying it in the future. :thumbsup:

PA Guy

/ Willys cj3b #18  
Love this thread. I love those old jeeps. Sadly not many around

There are lots of Willys CJs around, enough to keep a number of large companies in business selling replacement parts. The OP can head over to the CJ3B Page (cj3b.info) to find lots of good info. I'm headed to two large mid-west jeep shows in the next few weeks. I've already had my CJ3a Farm Jeep at two tractor shows and will attend several more this summer.

I too am enjoying the thread and hope to see more.

Attachments

• jacksonshow.jpg
    jacksonshow.jpg
    457.7 KB · Views: 276
   / Willys cj3b
Thanks guys. It has been a great learning experience. I have done lots of mechanical work on vehicles but very little body work and no metal work. I have vastly improved me welding skills and learned a lot. I am proud to say that I personally have done everything on this jeep. So, even though some may not be perfect, I did it.
Here is a picture of making the panels.
jeep215.jpg
jeep217.jpg
jeep229.jpg
and some other random pictures
jeep233.jpg
jeep272.jpg
jeep288.jpg
jeep319.jpg
the body I bought in NC with the hard top
jeep402.jpg
And yes, you can buy all these panels from places like Walcks or Kaiser Willys, but I can't spend that money for this project. I would love to be able to one day. I have to remind myself this was free so I have to keep things inexpensive. I believe when I am completely done I will have between $2500 and $3000 in the entire thing.
I would love to one day have one with a pto and a 3 point lift. I have also found I really love the Willys FC's. I told my wife the other night to prepare herself that if I come across one of those for a good price I will "have" to buy it.

/ Willys cj3b #20  
There are lots of Willys CJs around, enough to keep a number of large companies in business selling replacement parts. The OP can head over to the CJ3B Page (cj3b.info) to find lots of good info. I'm headed to two large mid-west jeep shows in the next few weeks. I've already had my CJ3a Farm Jeep at two tractor shows and will attend several more this summer.

I too am enjoying the thread and hope to see more.
Probably should have been more specific. I meant around Michigan from what i gave saw