Willys cj3b

/ Willys cj3b #21  
I've always been a fan of Jeeps, the older the better. My last one was an MB with the Ford script all over it. I wanted to restore it to all original, but lost interest as soon as I started doing anything on it. After about ten years of never doing anything with it, I sold it for twice what I paid for it. I think that finally got the wrenching bug out of my system, because there is nothing I hate doing more then wrenching on a vehicle. But I do enjoy seeing others fix up old stuff!!!!! Keep posting pics and updates, I'm looking forward to see what you do to it.

/ Willys cj3b #22  
Thanks guys. It has been a great learning experience. I have done lots of mechanical work on vehicles but very little body work and no metal work. I have vastly improved me welding skills and learned a lot. I am proud to say that I personally have done everything on this jeep. So, even though some may not be perfect, I did it.
------------------------------

And yes, you can buy all these panels from places like Walcks or Kaiser Willys, but I can't spend that money for this project. I would love to be able to one day. I have to remind myself this was free so I have to keep things inexpensive. I believe when I am completely done I will have between $2500 and $3000 in the entire thing.
I would love to one day have one with a pto and a 3 point lift. I have also found I really love the Willys FC's. I told my wife the other night to prepare herself that if I come across one of those for a good price I will "have" to buy it.
:thumbsup: You are doing a fantastic job on your Jeep.

The FC comment caught my eye, since I have owned three in the far distant past (1980's).

FC is Forward Control, Here is the one I used to drive:

Bear and Jinx.jpg

May 1985.jpg

Scan004.jpg

/ Willys cj3b
Very nice FC. One day I will own one!
Here is the tub after a coat of epoxy primer. I was fighting rust starting because this was taking me so long to get the metal work complete so I decided it was best off getting it covered.
jeep457.jpg
Here is the bottom coated with Raptor Liner. I love this stuff so far. I had never sprayed bed liner before but it was real easy to spray. I used a Schutz gun. I later decided to also coat the firewall with the same stuff. I did the entire bottom of the tub, inside all the fender wells, entire engine compartment, and the interior in this product.
Here is a close up of the texture.
jeep474.jpg
jeep478.jpg
Here is the interior after Raptor Liner.
jeep579.jpg

Here is what I picked for my paint. I found it just looking through a color book at the auto paint store in town. I think I like it.

jeep576.jpg

/ Willys cj3b
image-2315674036.jpg

These are the tires I chose to run. Can't wait!

image-3825232036.jpg

Here's my wheels after welding up all the bad areas and painting.

image-1279855574.jpg

And the two together.

/ Willys cj3b #25  
Love your post! Bringing back some memories from the high school days when I owned a '53 also. Is the starter energized by a pedal on the floor board? The other thing I remember was replacing the external oil pump on the advice of someone who had several of them. Said it was good insurance.

Used to take it down the snowmobile trails in winter with four or five guys piled in. Narrow wheel width came in handy!

/ Willys cj3b #26  
:thumbsup: You are doing a fantastic job on your Jeep.

The FC comment caught my eye, since I have owned three in the far distant past (1980's).

FC is Forward Control, Here is the one I used to drive:

View attachment 468794

View attachment 468795

View attachment 468796
Did these have the gas tank filler neck in the cab? Seems I remember filling one up for a guy at my Dad's gas station and he had to get out of the drivers seat for me to put fuel in.

Then again, he was always modifying stuff and maybe it was something of his own doing

Edit: I now see the filler neck on the left side of yours so it must be some mod he did.

/ Willys cj3b #27  
Yep, this is the stock location:

Scan003.jpg

/ Willys cj3b
Not sure about originally but mine has a push button starter switch on dash.

Started spraying a high build primer on hood, windshield frame, fenders, and grill.
image-2329160852.jpg

image-3870373250.jpg

Sprayed base and clear on same parts.

image-3219969938.jpg

image-3585924674.jpg

image-585252854.jpg

/ Willys cj3b #29  
On my CJ2A I bought army type tires from J.C. Whitney Co. and had them mounted. Also bought gas and water can holders but never did install them. Sold them with cans after I traded in my Jeep. Memories - Ah yes - those were the days my friend. :)

/ Willys cj3b #30  
I guess I'm a little older than some... my first project at age 12 was a Model A Ford bought with money I had earned.

Did have a few Jeep encounters... one was a roll over from salvage... did the bodywork and made it into a nice vehicle and it was a lot of fun... another was an Old Commander with a V6.

For the last 20+ years it's been my Samurai for the jeep fix...

Great project and love seeing the progress pictures...