Willys cj3b

/ Willys cj3b #1  

lcuinc

Tractor
MF 1428v
Hey all. I've enjoyed many great threads on here and thought I'd share something I've been working on if any are interested. And selfishly I'm hoping any interest in it will help to motivate me to finish!
Long story short I was given a 1953 cj3b from a great friend of mine. He and I played with it when we were in high school and then his family used it as a hunt jeep in Georgia. Even when in school I always tried to buy that jeep and they wouldn't let it go. Well we have been out of school for 19 years now and I finally got it! When I got it it had been parked at their hunt camp for 6 or so years.

image-1071880762.jpg

Here it is the day I winched it on the trailer. Doesn't look too bad. Wrong, looks can be deceiving.
If anyone is interested let me know and I will add more updates

/ Willys cj3b #2  
He!! yes we are interested! More pictures, more details, please! What needs done? What have you done so far? What's your plans for it?

About 20 years ago, in my high school days, when you were trying to buy that one, I was messing with cj5's and cj7's, had about a dozen, drove a few, sold alot of parts to build one nice '7.

/ Willys cj3b #3  
Been there. V8's, 4sp's, different axles, overdrives, etc.

More interested in keeping an old one stock, now.

Keep posting.

Bruce

/ Willys cj3b
My intent was to just play with this and use it to teach my kids how to work on a vehicle. Got it home and took about 30 minutes to get her running. Had no brakes so I took it to our lot across town so my boys and I could drive around the field. Had a blast. Went through the mud hole, climbed the piles of dirt, and even got it stuck once and had to yank out with my truck. Brought back home and took a fender off to get a better look at something and next I knew I had a bare frame on the garage floor.

image-3766180631.jpg

I'll have to get some pics from my old phone but here's the frame after most had been cleaned up and primed.

image-2787935943.jpg

/ Willys cj3b
At this point I had decide what I was doing with this thing. I decided that I would rebuild it basically stock. Notice I did not say restore it. The body was so bad I cut it in half with a cut off wheel. From the bottom of the firewall back had to be replaced, hood was shot, fenders both shot, and windshield frame missing. You can still purchase all body panels for this Willys but I could not afford that so I improvised. I bought sheets of steel and formed then around plywood forms that I made. I tried to build them as close to original as I could. My hope is when I'm done it will look original to the average person.

image-271502659.jpg

image-1824698722.jpg

image-1615562659.jpg

/ Willys cj3b #6  
Also had one. Lots of good memories.
My son did his first miles driving it on our dirt road.
Wish I'd have kept it as it was loads of fun.
Beats all the fancy ATV's hands down.

They sure knew how to hide that master cylinder down in the frame.

/ Willys cj3b
jeep57.JPGjeep59.JPG
some various pictures I am trying to load from my computer. let's see how this works, I am used to using my phone
jeep32.JPG
jeep50.JPG
jeep149.jpg

/ Willys cj3b #8  
Another guy with memories of his CJ2A that was 6 volt, half cab and came with a snow plow w/manual angle.
I used sheets of steel to extend the cab to full coverage. Carried an extra battery to jumpstart it when the engine was hot and 6 volt wouldn't crank it over. Had a mechanic friend who also drove a CJ bore out the 4 cylinder engine which made it run like a new engine was installed. Made some money plowing with it and drove it to work everyday. Dummy me traded it in on a 1975 Jeep Cherokee which blew a hole in the transmission case at 48,000 miles when the front wheel drive shaft snapped. The dealer foreman told me that was a common problem with that model and usually occurred around 20,000 miles. Sold it and bought a Chevy pick-up and would never buy a Jeep product again.

/ Willys cj3b
Spotted this at a yard sale on the way home from work yesterday. Got it for $2.00. Not sure it's old but thought it be neat on the cj.

image-1120616463.jpg

/ Willys cj3b #10  
Super Cool! When I was in HS (36 years ago!) a guy I knew bought an old CJ like that - in about the same shape. I don't know if he ever got it running.

I've had my '02 TJ for 9 years. I love driving it as much today as the first day that I bought it.

Keep the pictures coming!!