Design opinions

/ Design opinions #1  

USAFpj

Silver Member
Tractor
1957 841 Powermaster
Well, we're about 8mnths since our home was 'put together'. The 30x50x14 shop has been built as well, so now looking for opinions on how to finish the trim on the house. Personally, I'm content with the way it is now, and so is the wife.

However, another part of me says to wrap all the cinder block foundation in stone veneer, and the bottom portion of the vertical porch posts in real field stone (by a local stonemason)that is everywhere on our property. Another part of me says to enclose the space beneath the porch and utilize it as a shed.

Another question for the TBN guys- what would you do?

IMG_20150829_181547853_HDR.jpgIMG_20150830_243638750_HDR.jpgIMG_20150830_243901622_HDR.jpg

These are pics taken before the grass was seeded, landscaped, and road finalized.

/ Design opinions #2  
I would be all for closing in the space under the porch... no sense in not utilizing an area that is already under roof, you are 75% weatherproof already.

As to the exposed cinder block, I could go either way. Could just seal/paint it to match or contrast the house...

/ Design opinions #3  
Definitely make use of that space under the porch. I've got my tractor parked under my back deck right now, a situation just like that. Otherwise it's a fenced in dog run so the dog has somewhere to go at night after we bring him inside. We do have access to that space from inside the house. There is no roof over my deck so I rigged up some tarps to keep it dry under there. When I replace the deck it will be with stamped concrete so that will make a weatherproof roof for that space.

Well, we're about 8mnths since our home was 'put together'. The 30x50x14 shop has been built as well, so now looking for opinions on how to finish the trim on the house. Personally, I'm content with the way it is now, and so is the wife.

However, another part of me says to wrap all the cinder block foundation in stone veneer, and the bottom portion of the vertical porch posts in real field stone (by a local stonemason)that is everywhere on our property. Another part of me says to enclose the space beneath the porch and utilize it as a shed.

Another question for the TBN guys- what would you do?

View attachment 468530View attachment 468531View attachment 468532

These are pics taken before the grass was seeded, landscaped, and road finalized.

/ Design opinions #4  
My first thoughts are.

Side porch: enclose bottom w/lattice, color to match fir siding, one side QD to set, check critter traps.

Front porch: Shed w/siding, color to match house, access from either end(?). (Rubber roof for shed u'neath deck ;))
Nice planting (some height) to disguise the lateral slope and make o'all front look (from afar) more proportional(?), as that of the basic design. (btw, how's the view(s) from within?)

I also might side & stain the blocked area close to the ground (~16"), maybe plant something there too that would be easier to maintain than mowing a slope, as you've likely pondered, and perhaps give less of a 'castle on a hill' o'all appearance. (tho' you could add turrets, parapets later :D)

BTW, to my eye that is a very handsome abode! :) Until you decide/proceed IMO it only lacks a bit of weathering/darkening on the new decking bits to look just great. :thumbsup: I also feel that field stone would contrast awkwardly with the houses clean lines and trim. (JMHO) For an 'old farmhouse' look it would probably add much, but that's where each has his own (opinion). tog

/ Design opinions
Thank you! I will have fun contemplating all the choices.

/ Design opinions #6  
Personally, I'm content with the way it is now, and so is the wife.

"There's your sign"
Any or all of this can be done later. I don't see many block foundations any more, but if you have your mason parge those exposed block walls, you can have paint matched up to your siding color and it (visually) go's away, has a more finished look, and is a bunch cheaper than the stone veneer option. Nice looking house:thumbsup:

/ Design opinions
Old Grind, what did you mean by 'Rubber Roof'?

With the summer showers, we still get a good bit of rain inside our covered porch, so some type of roofing may indeed be necessary for what goes underneath the porch.

RustyIron- I'm thinking that if we were to paint the block the same color as the siding, that may make the entire building appear to be one large block of dark gray?

May be time to get out the photoshop.

Here's some pics of the front porch 'view'. My wife and I laugh at 'views'. We're perfectly content to be nestled in these foothills, and don't need a house on top of the mountain. In fact, makes me want to call in JDAM air strikes on 'em. Yeah, you got a great view, but you raped that mountain top and screwed the view for everyone else who has to look at it. Just my humble opinion, of course ;)

IMG_20160123_073736806.jpgIMG_20151029_123645442.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20151029_123633953.jpg
    IMG_20151029_123633953.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 166
Last edited:
   / Design opinions #8  
A suggestion that I have used successfully.
I 'slung' metal roofing under my deck and it worked so well that we even have upholstered furniture under there

Used a metal version that resembles 3" slats with 1" X 1" dimple or bumps. Chose it in white.
I created a slope by screwing the 'bumps' to the underside of 3 strips attached to bottom of the porch joists. (AKA 'hung' the metal)
1st (nearest house) is flat 2 x 4, next (middle) is 2 x 3 on edge and last or outer is 2 x 6 on edge.
This made for a gentle slope that allows rain to drain away from the 'under porch room'.

Now the porch deck above not roofed so it gets rained on as well as it gathers lots of snow but never in 15 years has any water entered the 'under porch room'.
Also to our total satisfaction this is the coolest area to be in on those super hot summer days.
Seems that air moving over the metal has a cooling effect and this 'under porch room' faces full afternoon sun.
With the wooden deck above the metal the metal never sees the hot sun.
(I often have been tempted to use a soaker hose to add water and create a DIY swamp air conditioner, bet it would work)

Note that it does not require all that many screws to 'hang' the metal 'ceiling' as there is never any weight on it.
The decking above takes any loads and water simply runs off leaving no more that wet metal.

/ Design opinions #9  
... However, another part of me says to wrap all the cinder block foundation in stone veneer, and the bottom portion of the vertical porch posts in real field stone (by a local stonemason)that is everywhere on our property. ...
Being a fan of stone work, I'd say listen to your "inner voice" ... :D

/ Design opinions #10  
1. Paint the block foundation.
2. Stain the porch a dark color.
3. Leave the under porch the way it is now. Enclosing it would only invite "critters" to move in.
4. You stated you already have a shop so unless you need more storage area I'd leave well enough alone. You could build a shed away from the house at edge of tree line if you have to need more storage.
JMHO - PAGUY