Cleaning out a creek bed

/ Cleaning out a creek bed #1  

BubbaJr

Platinum Member
Tractor
2016 KUBOTA B2650 w/cab & A/C
I have a creek behind my house that has several clumps of trees, branches, etc. that are damming up the creek. I need to clean it up as soon as I can. I can get close to some of it with the tractor and I have been able to drag some large trees, and branches up the creek bank, but it is exhausting work to do by myself. I have been going out onto the pile and attaching a wire rope to any tree parts that I can, and running a chain to my tractor and dragging it up the 6-10' bank. It's very slow and hard on my old body.

I came up with the bright idea of using a grapple hook on a chain or wire rope and throwing it out into the pile, hooking it to the tractor and dragging that up the creek. Now the problem is that I can't find anywhere that sells a grapple hook. What I am visualizing is something similar to what they use to drag the lake and ponds for bodies. Something with sharp prongs bent back towards the main shaft, that you can throw out into the creek, snag the trees, and drag them up on the bank.

Any ideas where I can buy such a beast. I don't have a welder or I could make one, maybe. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Or does anyone have a better (easier) way to clear out a creek by yourself?

/ Cleaning out a creek bed #2  
Get an excavator. It'll same hours and hours of time and your back.

/ Cleaning out a creek bed
I wish I could, but I forgot to mention that there are trees on both creek banks and that most of the log jams are in the woods where access is a real problem.

The thought of running an excavator does give me a warm fuzzy feeling though. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Cleaning out a creek bed #4  
I just did a quick Google search and found 2 grapple hooks on E-bay. Here's a link: Grapple Hooks /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Cleaning out a creek bed #5  
Try a marine supply store for a grapnel anchor. Here's one that folds, so that you can toss it into the branches, and the tines will open out as you pull it back. I found it at This website; do a google for boat anchors.

Attachments

• 404772-anchor.JPG
    404772-anchor.JPG
    3.5 KB · Views: 421
   / Cleaning out a creek bed #6  
How about this? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Or if your budget can stand it: this? /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Cleaning out a creek bed #7  
   / Cleaning out a creek bed
Thanks a lot guys. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Garry, I saw those on eBay, but they aren't quite what I had in mind. Thanks very much though.

Don, that's close to what I want, but I need more of a hook on the ends. I appreciate it though.

Bill, That's pretty much what I would like to have. In the picture it looks a little on the small side, so I'm going to contact them and get some measurements. Thank you very much.

Richard, They would work if I wanted to continue to walk out on the log jam, but I'm trying to find a way to do it from the bank, to keep my feet dry. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Thanks for the help.

I really appreciate all of your help. I was searching for over 2 hours this morning on the internet, and I came up with nothing. I knew all along I was just looking in the wrong place. You can't beat the brain trust at TBN. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Cleaning out a creek bed #9  
hey bubba try some of that TNT stuff, I'm sure it will remove much of what is need to be removed! not to mention it is getting closer to the 4th of july! lol.

I'm in center of ohio... and have similar problems, so i've been working to make small cuts in the banks and get the tractor up the creek. so far I can go about 1/3 the way in different locations, but have to get some more BIG ricks moved and some stumps too, then maybe cut a few more small trees. some parts are too swampy but most of the creek here is HARD pan rock. so I been grabbing lots of it and moving it for barn footer materisl. I have about 24" left to fill in the lower half of my 48x50 barn. so LOTS of run left ot dig out...

Mark M /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Cleaning out a creek bed #10  
If your problem area is close to a major road, beavers might be the answer.

Our highway department has brought an excavator in twice to clean out beaver dams that were backing up water to the road. They normally clean out a good size area while there.

About a week after the first cleanout, two more dams were started.

I told them all I had to do was train the beavers where to build the dams & I could get my whole place cleaned up, free. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif