Concrete Sealer for Pole Barn?

/ Concrete Sealer for Pole Barn? #1  

Buzzard99

Tractor
John Deere
Last fall we had a 48x90 pole barn built with 6 inch concrete in it. Well other than little things we have yet to move everything over to it. Just now starting to get time to work out there. When I had the concrete poured I was thinking I wanted it sealed. Well my concrete guys said they typically don't have anyone seal the floors, so I didn't do it. Now I am questioning it again. I am wondering what some of you guys think, do it or don't? It wouldn't take much for me to empty the shed out, and nothing with oil has ever been in it to this point to stain the floors. I am also trying to get a sense of how much this might cost me or any products someone might recommend, or if its even worth doing at all. Tractors, atvs, vehicles, boats will be stored and worked on in the shed.

I am really tired of that shed taunting me with the possibilities right now.

Buzzard

/ Concrete Sealer for Pole Barn? #2  
G'day Mate and welcome to TBN from Downunder.

3 years ago I had my 6-bay shed built on a re-enforced concrete pad. I also, like you now, contemplated sealing the floor. Well, cost & procrastination won out and its never been done.

Sure there's the odd stain, mostly from my spilling a bit of diesel. Neither of my tractors have 'marked their territory'. There has been no cracking or discolouration and, in the long run, it is a shed. IOW money saved by not doing it.

That being said... it is a concrete floored shed in Australia. I don't have to put up with freezing temperatures (a frost is the worst) and salt residue from road vehicles.

/ Concrete Sealer for Pole Barn? #3  
I would definitely do it now. Get same sealer from a concrete store and just spray it on with a hand sprayer. It is a lot easier now than when it's full of stuff and all stained. I am surprised the floor layer didn't do it.

/ Concrete Sealer for Pole Barn? #4  
We used Ashford Formula on our 40x70 and the 24x24. It isn't a sealer, it is a densifier and it works amazingly well.

/ Concrete Sealer for Pole Barn? #6  
Many years ago raw linseed oil and 50% kerosene were mixed and sprayed on sidewalks, curbs & gutters.

/ Concrete Sealer for Pole Barn? #7  
You looking to just seal the floor, or are you wanting something like a polyurethane ? I'm getting ready to do mine before long and still not decided on what I'm going to use, thinking on using a simi gloss poly, there are so many different types now it can get really confusing.

/ Concrete Sealer for Pole Barn? #8  
I might do sealer on my garage if it were not so expensive but never in my shop where I store boat, motorcycle, lawnmowers and a couple of cars. I also do my mechanic work and welding there. No way is any sealer going to stand up to welding.
If you want a Jay Leno type building, then go for the $1000+ sealer, but for me, I will just wipe up any grease or oil and consider that a PATINA for a floor well used.

/ Concrete Sealer for Pole Barn? #10  
I bought my sealer from a concrete supply store, wasn't too expensive.