Need Advice on Smoothing Field

/ Need Advice on Smoothing Field #1  

BoylermanCT

Veteran Member
Tractor
Montana R2844, New Holland TC29D, Hustler X-One
I have a 2 acre field that I mow weekly with my lawn tractor. It is on the bumpy side, and shakes me and my lawn mower quite a bit while mowing. I am looking at buying a zero turn mower with a top speed of 7-8 mph, but there is no way I can mow at that speed due to the bumps and ruts. So I want to smooth the field out so I can mow as close to full speed as possible.

The field has no trees or obstructions in it, has some rolling hills which I want to keep. The big catch is my septic line runs out to the far side of the field, and then branches off into the leach field. So the usual suggestion of bringing in a large grader or bulldozer or tractor / plow / harrow / disc won't work.

My plan was to use my tractor with 5' rototiller and till the field many times over a period of several weeks, and then rent a skid steer with a hydraulic rock rake to remove all of the rocks unearthed by the tiller. Then I would plant new grass, cover with hay and water as best as I can, hopefully mother nature will assist with the watering.

Will this get me the smooth yard I want? I have access to a york rake, and a drag harrow as well, not sure if these should be part of the process. I am going to call a couple of landscape companies to get estimates as well, what would be a reasonable price to pay to smooth out 2 acres? What would a landscape company use to do the job?

I am mowing the field tonight when I get home, so I will post pictures of it when I am done.

/ Need Advice on Smoothing Field #2  
You do not want to repeatedly till a field to powder. After a rain it will be airless adobe brick and require years to recover.

Your topic: SMOOTHING FIELD is post 2-3 times per month on T-B-N.

Here are several hundred replies from the T-B-N archive:

LINK: Google

Others will reply but these will get you started.

/ Need Advice on Smoothing Field #3  
If you havea thick layer of sod. tilling is not the best option. You will be left with lots of clumps of sod/dead grass that will be just as rough as before.

I have had pretty good results with discing, waiting a few days for the clumps to dry out, then running a cultipacker over it. The wait til there is some moisture in the ground and run a heavy lawn roller over it. How much moisture in the ground depends on what equipment you have to pull it with. The moister the better, but you dont want to create ruts with the tow vehicle. And by heavy roller, I am not talking a 24" diameter TSC special filled with water. I am talking one filled with sand or concrete or a heavy (large diameter) homemade one.

/ Need Advice on Smoothing Field #4  
A 'reverse till' rototiller will bury the sod clumps effectively.

A big roller may get it level initially but as the clumps decompose, you will have your original problem.

Here' a pic of my roller. Approximately 3 tons total rolling weight when full of water. ABOUT 8 pounds per square inch.

Image1466633766.307917.jpg

Terry

/ Need Advice on Smoothing Field #5  
Can you rent a power rake locally?

Also, why not a dozer? I'd think that would have less ground pressure than the average tractor?

/ Need Advice on Smoothing Field
Here are some pics of the field.

_DSC8615.jpg

_DSC8619.jpg

_DSC8621.jpg

_DSC8624.jpg

/ Need Advice on Smoothing Field
Can you rent a power rake locally?

Also, why not a dozer? I'd think that would have less ground pressure than the average tractor?

I can rent a harley rake for my tractor or a Bobcat, is that what you mean by power rake? How would that be different than a tiller set at a shallow depth?

BOBCAT SOIL CONDITIONER Rentals Canton CT, Where to Rent BOBCAT SOIL CONDITIONER in Hartford CT, Torrington, Winsted, Farmington Valley

HARLEY RAKE 6 FOOT 3 POINT HITCH Rentals Canton CT, Where to Rent HARLEY RAKE 6 FOOT 3 POINT HITCH in Hartford CT, Torrington, Winsted, Farmington Valley

I could look at a small dozer. Would the idea be to scrape off all the existing sod? I found a Deere 450 for rent. But it is 15,000lb machine. Would a tracked Bobcat with plow work?

Bobcat1.jpg

Last edited:
   / Need Advice on Smoothing Field #8  
Yes Harley rake is a power take. I would think renting one for a Skidsteer would be the best way to go. Just taking a light skin coat and taking off the gosh spots to drop in the low spots. Going one direction (north and south) and then perpendicular (east and west) and then a third run diagonal would give you a very nice finish.

I would say a land plane would likely work well (although never used one of those myself) but you would have clumps of grass to deal with everywhere.

I think the Harley rake is your best bet.

/ Need Advice on Smoothing Field #9  
Wellllll - the first thing I noticed was your field is sure a LOT smoother than the one I mow. And yes, when mowing my field, it does reset my kidneys. Other than adding sand to the "ruts" - I think Piston's suggestion - post #8 - using a Harley rake is about the best. Otherwise, you are going to end up with row upon row of cut sod - in great & wondrous clumps.

The experience I have with my Land Pride LPGS indicates that if you could penetrate the sod - its not going to break it up. You will end up with gnarly clumps of sod all over the field.

You need an implement that has the ability to slice the high areas and grind this material fine enough to deposit it into the ruts. My limited experience in this area says a Harley rake is about the only thing that will do this.

This assumes you do not want to start all over again. If you do, then a large rototiller - multiple passes in all directions until the sod is broken up - then some sort of leveling implement(LPGS) - finally reseeding and rolling. Or a large Harley rake.

/ Need Advice on Smoothing Field #10  
Ya it sure is a nice field. Myself, I woud worry about screwing it up and starting over.

Since there are no obstructions why are you getting zero turn? Though I am guessing you have other areas to cut too. Get a mower for tractor or 4 wheeler, is what I would do. But I a not a big yard nazi.

I'd probably plant some trees, it looks boring.