Fixing my too tall ROPS

/ Fixing my too tall ROPS #1  

lennyzx11

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301 HST/LA525 & 1964 Ford 2000 gas
After forgetting to fold the ROPS down or back up and kissing the door trim with my bucket one too many times I started on my latest project.
From a 7'tall X 8' wide to a 9x12.

IMG_0073.JPGIMG_0083.JPGIMG_0081.JPG

/ Fixing my too tall ROPS #2  
That is defiantly the best way to fix your ROPS.

As long as you remember to open the door far enough. :D

/ Fixing my too tall ROPS #3  
Expensive way to fix the problem.

I think the feds should change the rules on maybe 32 hp and smaller tractors: ROPS when erected should be a height that'll fit underneath a standard garage door opening. Then, enforce their silly height rules they have now.

They'd get a lot more of us willing to raise our ROPS.

Raised mine ONCE and did some damage to the garage door opening, mostly cosmetic. Haven't raised since.

Ralph

/ Fixing my too tall ROPS
This is part one of a upgrade which will double the size of the shop eventually. My pickup wouldn't fit through the door without folding the mirrors in and the boat scared the sides of opening quite a few times backing in.
I'm doing it one mini project at a time when I'm home from work out on the road.IMG_0088.JPGIMG_0089.JPG

/ Fixing my too tall ROPS #5  
In my case with the roof attached to my ROPS I have to pull the garage door all the way to the end of the track which makes the bottom of the door flush with the 7 ft opening. I'm the only one who knows this trick so God forbid if someone else tries to back out of the garage w/o doing my trick they will tear off the tractor fiberglass roof. :shocked:

/ Fixing my too tall ROPS #6  
I've always kept my ROPS down. Until I put a canopy on the ROPS. Then I moved the tractor to the one TALL stall in the carport. The one & only time I had the ROPS up - I kissed the top of the carport door trim. Backing into a carport stall had always been - "watch out for adequate clearance for the rear blade". At the rate I was going - with the ROPS up - I would have torn the carport down long before any need for the ROPS.

/ Fixing my too tall ROPS #7  
Expensive way to fix the problem.

I think the feds should change the rules on maybe 32 hp and smaller tractors: ROPS when erected should be a height that'll fit underneath a standard garage door opening. Then, enforce their silly height rules they have now.

They'd get a lot more of us willing to raise our ROPS.

Raised mine ONCE and did some damage to the garage door opening, mostly cosmetic. Haven't raised since.

Ralph

That suggests the Federal height regulations are arbitrary.

Though, the height seems excessive, it was determined through testing. Which, suggest their concern was about safety, rather than what height door it fits through.

You may have to pay either way. Because, the Feds could eventually require tractors to have the expensive, self deploying ROPS they are currently working on, because lots of operators don't put folding ROPS up.

My guess is, the self deploying ROPS, will not only be costly, they may also have to be serviced periodically, which could be expensive. And, could potentially reduce resale values, if yours is not current.

Personally, I would be fine with letting Darwin's theory take it's course. But, the bureaucrats have other ideas.

IMG_0096.JPG
Hopefully, this will be the last time I back into that little garage door.
I have to leave for work a couple of months and wife convinced me to just let the garage door company install it in the rough opening.
While I'm gone.
I tried to tell her that I'm sure I could do it better than the professionals with three times the time and twice the costs!

/ Fixing my too tall ROPS #9  
View attachment 474193
Hopefully, this will be the last time I back into that little garage door.
I have to leave for work a couple of months and wife convinced me to just let the garage door company install it in the rough opening.
While I'm gone.
I tried to tell her that I'm sure I could do it better than the professionals with three times the time and twice the costs!

I seem to always end up doing some, or part of it over.

The last time, they installed the jack shaft bearing plates, in the highest set of holes on the tracks. Putting the top of the cable drums, 1/2" higher than the bottom of where my finished ceiling was going to be. :confused:

This was frustrating, because I had the exact amount of headroom they had requested. And, I had made it clear, there was going to be a finished, drywall ceiling.

When I called the next day, and asked why didn't he use the lower set of holes, they told me they had to use the higher set of holes. And, that the door would not work in the lower set.

Which was funny, because, when I got home from work the night before, I unscrewed everything, moved it down to those other holes, readjusted it, and it worked just fine. :rolleyes:

But, what do I know, I don't do them all day long, like these guys do.

They finished but forgot the opener and then couldn't install it because they said the clearance was 1" short. I told my wife to tell em take it back and I'll do it myself. I'll order a jack shaft opener if needed when I get home. I always have a hard time hiring people to do what they say will.
It turned out pretty nice though I gotta admit. I like the proportions.IMG_2270.jpegIMG_0329.JPG