Tree felling directional question

/ Tree felling directional question #1  

chopped

Veteran Member
Hello all,
I know there will be many opinions on how im doing this but ill try to lay out what Im doing and the question I have.

The tree in question is a beech tree. about 11 inches in diameter. I will be using two cables like I have done in the past.:thumbsup: One will pull it in the direction I want it to go. This usually works slick. I also hung a rope up there so if I run into trouble. I also have a secondary cable and winch attached. So this setup will defiently pull it the way I want ,

So the question is simply this.When i do the backcut into the birds mouth. is it best to go in straight or have one side cut ahead of the other side.? in which case if I wanted it to favor one way in the drop would O release the opposing side of the backcut. Leaving meat on the side that I want it to favor??

It would be trhe same without cables at all really. I know the direction of the birds mouth cut will dictate it mostly but wasnt sure if I am trying to fine tune it to much lol.
Thanks in Advance for this.:)

/ Tree felling directional question #2  
The back cut a a couple inches above the birds mouth to avoid having the tree come back at you and you can cut leaving a little more meat on the side you wish to pull the tree over too.

/ Tree felling directional question #3  
Couple notes:
When you start the backcut allowing the tree to flex, or lean towards, where the cable is pulling, and when the tree starts to fall, the cable will go slack. When this happens and there is no more tension in the cable, gravity will take back over and the tree will fall where it naturally wants to go (or "swing" to where the limits of the cable slack allows it). There has to be a balancing act between cutting and keeping cable tension. But not too much tension or you will create a "barberchair" tree cut.

Couple ways to lesson barberchair threat is: Plunge cut and cut back strap last, and/or put a chain around trunk above cut so trunk holds together when it starts to split.

Leave the thickest hinge on the side you want to hold the longest. But again, I think the benefits are minimal, with a danger of creating a situation where the top of the tree is a big lever falling over and too big of a bottom hinge is "holding/ not flexing" , and the trunk splits vertically (barberchairs).

/ Tree felling directional question #4  
Couple notes:
When you start the backcut allowing the tree to flex, or lean towards, where the cable is pulling, and when the tree starts to fall, the cable will go slack.

I like to use a nylon rope or 30-ft 2-inch recovery strap to give the tree several feet or more of pull when it starts to go.

/ Tree felling directional question #5  
So the question is simply this.When i do the backcut into the birds mouth. is it best to go in straight or have one side cut ahead of the other side.? in which case if I wanted it to favor one way in the drop would O release the opposing side of the backcut. Leaving meat on the side that I want it to favor??
)

Usually, a directional back cut is good for about a 5-10' deviation from the fall notch for the size tree that you have indicated. What provides the differential is the crown growth tendencies and I've seen species can also make a difference. Saw angle into the back cut can also alter such tendencies. In 2005 there was a "Prarie Dog" ISA paper totally refuting any efficacy a back cut has on fall direction. My experience states otherwise.
To answer your question, if this is a pulled directional fall, make the back cut straight. To make a directional back cut with a forced (pulled) directional fall is redundant and unnecessary. Just make the notch in the direction your pull is from and cut straight to the notch of course leaving a hinge.

As stated above about barber chairing, is a safer cut for the inexperienced. In this endeavor with a pull, timing is everything. People tend to start the pull way sooner than necessary which can lead to barber chairing of the stem. If the natural fall is the exact opposite of the subsequent drop, then I'd definitely use the relief type cut to prevent the stem split.

/ Tree felling directional question #6  
Don't mean to change the direction of the thread here, but just to give you a different idea to consider. This method is only applicable if you also want the stump out. The homestead property I bought 2 years ago had many dead and dying birch trees. Most were a little larger than 11 inches. First I used a ladder to wrap a chain around the tree, about 12-14 feet high. Then I used a sawsall with a carbide tipped blade to cut through the larger roots, about 1 1/2 to 2 feet away from the trunk. With extra lengths of chain and a recovery strap for shock absorption simply use your tractor to fell the tree, root base and all.

The added benefit in doing it this way, I discovered, is that the tree comes down slowly, so felling direction can actually be changed somewhat if necessary. I had a tree over about 45 degrees and I stopped pulling. The tree just stayed in that position.

I also helped a neighbor take down 6 of his birches this way. But being much younger and stronger than me, and with less patience using the sawsall, he opted to cut his roots with an ax. Hope this helps you.

Attachments

• roots cut.jpg
    roots cut.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 315
  • tree pull.jpg
    tree pull.jpg
    744.4 KB · Views: 288
  • tree down.jpg
    tree down.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 256
   / Tree felling directional question #7  
Simple answer to the question is yes, direction cut can control the direction of fall, as others stated.

But Why do you need this? Is the tree naturally heavy or leaning in a direction you dont want it to go? Is there buildings around? Why not just notch in the exact direction you want it to fall and make a even back cut.

As to roping, typically they suggest that you have your line 90 degrees to the fall direction. IE: if you had a tree next to a house, and you didnt want the tree to fall on the house, you would attach an anchor line perpendicular out from the house. But then you would want to fell the tree parallel to the house, which can be aided by a second line. That first line isnt for pulling the tree, just for preventing it from going in an unwanted direction.

/ Tree felling directional question #8  
Simple answer to the question is yes, direction cut can control the direction of fall, as others stated.

But Why do you need this? Is the tree naturally heavy or leaning in a direction you dont want it to go? Is there buildings around? Why not just notch in the exact direction you want it to fall and make a even back cut.

As to roping, typically they suggest that you have your line 90 degrees to the fall direction. IE: if you had a tree next to a house, and you didnt want the tree to fall on the house, you would attach an anchor line perpendicular out from the house. But then you would want to fell the tree parallel to the house, which can be aided by a second line. That first line isnt for pulling the tree, just for preventing it from going in an unwanted direction.

That depends on the tree LD. If a tree is that close to a house, I'd call a professional tree service if I were him. The trouble with a 90 degree pull is it may work with smaller trees. Bigger ones can still have so much meat at the hinge that they will not necessarily move with 90* angle. If a tree was dangerously close to things, we'd top it first and pull the stem over with a 45* angle from the danger. This is where the notch would be as well. Worked every time.

/ Tree felling directional question #9  
I'll pile on and say, I'll never use a cable again. It works great when it doesn't slack. When slack, it's worthless. I'll be using a rope with some stretchy spring in it. Cutting down a very large and leaning mulberry I cabled in the direction of lean. Tree was completely uncooperative. Ended up falling 180deg from where I wanted. Not fun.

/ Tree felling directional question #10  
That depends on the tree LD. If a tree is that close to a house, I'd call a professional tree service if I were him. The trouble with a 90 degree pull is it may work with smaller trees. Bigger ones can still have so much meat at the hinge that they will not necessarily move with 90* angle. If a tree was dangerously close to things, we'd top it first and pull the stem over with a 45* angle from the danger. This is where the notch would be as well. Worked every time.

the 90 degree line isnt a pull line. Rather just a line to keep things from going wrong.

With a line (properly sized and tight) going perpendicular out from the house and properly anchored, there is absolutly no way the tree can fall on the house. That line gives the tree the ability to fall in a 180 degree arc. So no matter what goes wrong with the notch, or fell, it cannot fall on the house.

Another line, can be connected for a pull line.

I seen a good diagram awhile back Ill see if I can find it