Need a Survey

/ Need a Survey #1  

BRIGUY

Gold Member
Tractor
BX 23, Wheelhorse 312-8
I was wondering how much It should cost to have a survey done (corners re staked) on my property. I have 1.47 acres with a very irregular shape. I spoke with the company that did the original survey 15 years ago before the house was built. They said it should be around 650$ but they haven't gotten back to me with an exact price. This seems kind of high to me since they have already done it once.

/ Need a Survey #2  
I have 3.66+ acres and was told it would be $1,000+.

/ Need a Survey
I guess I went into the wrong business. I'm always taking classes at HVCC (local community college) maybe I should check out surveying.

/ Need a Survey #4  
Without looking at the property to see what will be involved, there is no way to guess how much it will cost. I paid almost $5000 17 years ago, because part of the property line is a wandering stream and swamp land. Just because they did it once, doesn't mean that they can do it a second time any less expensively. Surveys should be quality work and you will have to pay for that quality of service. Do you want the doctor that bids the lowest price to do your heart bypass surgery, or would you prefer to have the surgeon that is experienced and knows what he is doing. That is part of what you are paying for. His expertise. A survey is worthless if it isn't correct!......

/ Need a Survey
Point well taken.
If the survey was already done once should their already be corner posts?
I'm planning on installing a fence and I don't want to move it EVER!

/ Need a Survey #6  
If the pins are there, then just go and find them. If they have been removed, or moved, then they will have to be reset and that is where the money is. It is a labor expense. If they can find one pin, then it makes the job easier. With all the building that is going on in the country, the surveyors are just as busy laying out new house lots and doing other work. If they take time to do your job, it has to pay the same or more than doing a house lot job for it to make economical sense to them. Today, everything is time and $$$$. If you can't find the pins, rent a metal detector and start looking. If you have the original survey, you should be able to find a starting point. Purchase a 100' tape measure and have someone help you find the corners. It isn't rocket science, but it is time consuming. When you set your fence posts, set them back a foot from the line and you will be safe. If the lines are a clear line of sight, that will make it easier for you also. You can rent a laser level to shoot the lines, depending on your level of understanding of how it is done. If you want to do it on the cheap, then get some wooden stakes and string. If it is a wooded lot, then it can be challenging. If it is a open field, then it is a piece of cake....

/ Need a Survey #7  
Our survey was only about $400 on 8.5 acres.

Ralph

/ Need a Survey #8  
We just (2 months ago) had 25 acres surveyed and staked out - it was around $5000. I don't know if that helps with your lot size, but it should be a lot less than what we paid.

Good Luck,

/ Need a Survey #9  
Our 14.5 acres cost 1500 dollars. Two sides of the property is bound by slightly irregular rock walls, so the survey page was fun to read....20 feet in one direction, 12 feet in a slightly different direction, 6 feet in yet another slightly different direction...and so on....

/ Need a Survey #10  
Ours is all woods - it's all done now - the Surveyor did it during the winter, Jan to Feb. We didn't have any existing stakes or metal markers to go by, but now thats it's done it's nice to see our real borders. We're bordered behind by Nature Conservancy, and I found they got a bit "optimistic" with some of their tree markers - no biggie though - I'm thrilled to have them as neighbors rather than a rootin tootin housing development.

Do you know where "Devil's Hopyard" is? Our land supposedly leads to that through the woods. Once I'm up there I think I'll try to cut some riding paths through to it.