Advice on next step to level field.

/ Advice on next step to level field. #1  

BobReeves

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 3000
Hi again,

I need some help/advice on a little project I am working on.

The picture here.. Field is of an area that I eventually would like to be as smooth as possible but not sure what the next step should be. It was just tilled and the gentleman that did the tilling said it would be better to wait until it rained so it would pack down a bit before trying to drag it or do anything else.

I am questioning his logic, thinking he may just be just buying time so he can get to other jobs that may be a little more lucrative. I have access to a tractor and could rig up a drag using an old railroad track section. Should I drag it now or wait until it rains? Any other ideas or advice? Am even thinking about going out and renting a small powered roller to roll it.. Have no idea what I am doing just want to end up with a very smooth surface, any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
Bob

/ Advice on next step to level field. #2  
I would York rake it now and get the rocks and debris out of it. Then it should be relatively smooth. A drag isn't going to give you the surface that you are looking for unless you get it leveled off first and get the rocks out of it. Been there and done that with a small tractor and lots of hours pulling the rake.

/ Advice on next step to level field.
Thanks for the tip, wished I had access to a rake and an ATV with wide tires to pull it, sure looks like it would be just the ticket. Really arn't any rocks to speak of only grass clods. Maybe the guy is right given the implements available.

His thinking is if I put a tractor on it now all I would do is create more tire ruts. If I wait until it rains and dries out it will pack down and the drag will work better.

/ Advice on next step to level field. #4  
I think if you dragged something in it as loose as it looks, you would be piling stuff everywhere. If you used a landscape rake, I think it would also move alot of loose debris around.

If it were mine, I'd wait a week or after a rain and then maybe drag it or spring tooth it.....

Hope this helps.
Ron

/ Advice on next step to level field. #5  
I leveled almost 4 acres last year. In different areas and for different needs I used a small dozer (Case 550 LT), a york rake, a 66" tiller (where I added manure to improve the soil, a home-made three point disc.

I then borrowed a arena mat/drag harrow from a friend and was completely shocked at how this "industriel chain link fence with teeth" really leveled things better than the other tools. He had one about 5' x 10' (two sections together). You could drive resonably fast in many directions and it really did fantastic final smoothing and was shockingly good at filling lows and cutting down highs. I had a home-made drag tool that just didn't do nearly as well. Here is a photo of a nearly identical device:

Attachments

• 410822-drag harrow.jpg
    410822-drag harrow.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 302
   / Advice on next step to level field. #6  
I agree with RonR, let it settle a while. Then rig up something to drag behind a tractor or atv.

/ Advice on next step to level field. #7  
I'd try dragging a York rake around backwards, that would keep it from picking up all the loose stuff. If you let it pack down too much, it wouldn't do much good. I strap a 10' Railroad tie to the top of mine, the extra weight does wonders for it.

/ Advice on next step to level field. #8  
This is a good topic, especially since a near term project for me is leveling a large (4 acre) field that is pretty rutted up. I will attempt box blading some small, isolated areas. I have considered a chain drag harrows thingy and only recently saw one up close- man is that bigger and heavier than it looks in pictures. What do you guys think about a 6' wide water filled roller adapted to drag behind a NH TC40D? I can get a new one locally for $189 new. Must weigh a ton filled with water.

/ Advice on next step to level field. #9  
Most folks pick up those chain link harrows at two places. The three point picks up the front, and a boom pole picks up the back.
Any harrow that drags along the ground will eventually fill up with plant residue and or stones and lift over the mess from time to time. Leaves little piles all over your yard. Maybe the tiller chewed up the plants small enough to prevent this.