Pool deck, build or buy/move?

/ Pool deck, build or buy/move? #1  

aczlan

Good Morning
Tractor
Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660. Formerly: Case 480F LL, David Brown 880UE
The wife wants a deck out next to the pool. Looking at either building a 15x20 (all pressure treated, $2500ish plus the time to build it) or buying a 13x17 deck with Trex decking and moving it (seller is asking $1000ish for the deck, a pool and various pool parts, figure $1500ish by the time all is said and done).
Anyone have an opinion? I really like the Trex decking and the thought of not needing to assemble a deck.

Aaron Z

/ Pool deck, build or buy/move? #2  
Just make sure the curve/bend is the same as yours or it could be a real pain. You also may want to look up some of the problems with Trex and some of the other composite decking - seems a lot of people complain about them but others love them. Also check on how it is built - Mostly use 12" on center and not 16" with the composite decking.
I would think the other advantage of building one is the ability to anchor it to the ground - not sitting it on top of the ground. (as in placing the posts in concrete)

/ Pool deck, build or buy/move?
It is on a 24' pool, ours is a 28' but the way its layed out, it shouldn't be a big deal to trim it to fit our pool.
Its currently on 4 4x4s, I plan to sink 4 4x6 posts (in concrete) and put it on those.

Aaron Z

/ Pool deck, build or buy/move? #4  
No experience with composite decking, but based on my experiences with PT - which doesn't seem to hold up in the long run - I'd say concrete patio and call it done ... :D

Concrete patio at 4' in the air would be difficult to make work...

Aaron Z

/ Pool deck, build or buy/move? #6  
Concrete patio at 4' in the air would be difficult to make work...

Aaron Z
Yeah ... I was wondering if it was an in-ground or above-ground ... :D

If I were doing it myself for the long haul and I had the budget, I'd check into using black locust.

These guys are around 100 miles or so (?) south of you, but there are other sources as well:

Black Locust Lumber, U.S.A. - Home

/ Pool deck, build or buy/move? #7  
I would be very hesitant buying a used deck. 90 percent of every deck that I've ever seen was poorly built. Using 4x4's for the posts indicates a poor quality build to me. I only use 6x6's for my posts because they are the only post that remains fairly straight when they dry out. 4x4's and 4x6's twist too much. It is also very difficult to notch a smaller post to support your beams.

With composite decking, you need to have your joists closer together. As mentioned, 12 inch centers is needed.

Another thing that I find wrong all the time is the span of the beams and joists. They are almost always 2x6's maxed out or over extended.

When building a deck around a pool, I've found you have to increase the number of posts to have the extra beams in place to support joists that fit close to the pool so you can deck it securely.

I forget the size of this deck, but I big the materials at $1,500 and I came in a little under that when I was done. It took me five days to build it, including tearing down the previous deck that was falling apart after five years. I never use nails on a deck. Only screws and bolts.

10703544_10205209847308447_1188211600780699970_n.jpg

/ Pool deck, build or buy/move? #8  
No experience with composite decking, but based on my experiences with PT - which doesn't seem to hold up in the long run - I'd say concrete patio and call it done ... :D

I can't afford composite decking but about 10 years ago managed to buy enough of the decking I needed for a 12'x8' platform for about half again what the PT price was. It's lasted outside in Northern Virginia for that 10 years with no treatment and looks about like new.
However I've read since that many people have had problems with the product.

The wife wants a deck out next to the pool. Looking at either building a 15x20 (all pressure treated, $2500ish plus the time to build it) or buying a 13x17 deck with Trex decking and moving it (seller is asking $1000ish for the deck, a pool and various pool parts, figure $1500ish by the time all is said and done).
Anyone have an opinion? I really like the Trex decking and the thought of not needing to assemble a deck.

Aaron Z
Are you going to be able to move it in one piece? 2 pieces? Total tear apart?

My plan would be one piece (after removing the rails), put it at an angle on a 18' landscape trailer

Aaron Z

/ Pool deck, build or buy/move? #10  
i see decks for sale all the time from previous pool owners around here and they always sell it way too high. most i tried to contact to move for my pool deck they always seems to be admandant on how its to be done , not my way thats the best way . i always ask for less then half since i know it has to be modifed anyway ad the work involved to move it and they always turn me down. ok . I rather build new if for same or close of amount of money .