3 phase converter ok ?

/ 3 phase converter ok ? #21  
How often do you plan on using it? 32a is alot of power.

If plans to use very frequently, my want to re-consider 3ph from the power company. Over the long haul, the extra cost from the inefficiency of converting single phase may be more.

Have you even contacted the power company? My interpretation of what you said earlier is that you have not because you assume it's gonna be expensive. But you cannot make an educated decision without first finding out for sure.

Second, have you inquired if you can get the printer in a single phase version?

Either of those would be a better solution if the plan is to use it more than just occasionally, IMO

/ 3 phase converter ok ?
How often do you plan on using it? 32a is alot of power.

If plans to use very frequently, my want to re-consider 3ph from the power company. Over the long haul, the extra cost from the inefficiency of converting single phase may be more.

Have you even contacted the power company? My interpretation of what you said earlier is that you have not because you assume it's gonna be expensive. But you cannot make an educated decision without first finding out for sure.

Second, have you inquired if you can get the printer in a single phase version?

Either of those would be a better solution if the plan is to use it more than just occasionally, IMO

We are more than 1500 feet to run another leg for true 3 phase. I know because when I built the house, I had to trench and build the underground for our house. It's a bit over 1500 from our transformer and another 300 feet to the house.. It's also a private line and only powers my property. We would be using this almost everyday. If it won't run off a converter, I may have to look at a different machine, .. And I really don't want to.

/ 3 phase converter ok ? #23  
We are more than 1500 feet to run another leg for true 3 phase. I know because when I built the house, I had to trench and build the underground for our house. It's a bit over 1500 from our transformer and another 300 feet to the house.. It's also a private line and only powers my property. We would be using this almost everyday. If it won't run off a converter, I may have to look at a different machine, .. And I really don't want to.

Semantics, but you would need TWO more legs for 3 phase.

Power companies are different everywhere. Around here, it dont cost anything to get power to a meter. But you pay for and do (or contract) everything on your side of the meter.

I would still try to get ahold of the MFG just to inquire what they recommend. And will warrant. Regardless of what anyone of us on the internet say, I wouldnt do anything that would void a warranty. Which may indeed push you to find a single phase machine.

/ 3 phase converter ok ? #24  
Semantics, but you would need TWO more legs for 3 phase.

Power companies are different everywhere. Around here, it dont cost anything to get power to a meter. But you pay for and do (or contract) everything on your side of the meter.

I would still try to get ahold of the MFG just to inquire what they recommend. And will warrant. Regardless of what anyone of us on the internet say, I wouldnt do anything that would void a warranty. Which may indeed push you to find a single phase machine.

Most places around here are no cost to the meter loop, but you pay for the meter loop. Unless it is 3 phase, and there is no 3 phase available. Then you pay 100% of the cost to implement 3 phase.

We looked into getting 3 phase to a friends shop. Right at 125K$ to run the 3p almost 1/4 of a mile to his shop. Needless to say he bought single phase motors for what could be had and a converter for the lathe and mill.

/ 3 phase converter ok ? #25  
I've been using a 25hp PhaseCraft RPC on a 50amp breaker for the last year or so. It was cheap and easy to install. It was about as plug & play as you can get. My biggest motor is a 10hp Pacemaker lathe. It runs it just fine. When I get the barn up, I'll feed it with 125amps and branch it into a 3phase service and hard pipe all my machines. The breaker is to small but I've never tripped it on start up or while using a machine. I push them pretty hard sometimes. It's a pain to run one machine at a time but it keeps me working.

/ 3 phase converter ok ? #26  
Digital devices and our 3-PH motors are apples and oranges where power needs (quality) are at issue, and I'm sure most with experience (esp CNC) will agree. Y'know, PP makes 'power conditioners' for those with digital gear and poor quality 3-PH service, and shops buy/use them for 'clean' power.

New PT330 might be <$4k. There's a reason they don't go cheap if used & working. (service IS tops, btw)

Mention (or forward) this model to your printer's maker for comment.

http://www.phasetechnologies.com/phaseperfect/files/pt330specs.pdf

A few days left to bid on this one ... time enuf to receive a response from 'printco'.

phase perfect pt 33 | eBay

No matter what deal a poco gives us to install 3PH, billing might be by time of day or peak usage during a brief period (even one day during a week) that's treated as though an average. Expect to hear about 'power factor' when asking why 3 PH $$/kW doesn't parallel 1PH usage/cost if you 'go there'.

tomtint, hate to load you down with 'homework', but please visit other forums (fora?) where digital phase conversion is discussed for a better context/perspective on comments here. Several of us are also members at 'PracticalMachinist'. (not tellin' whom ...)

Transformers, Phase Converters and VFD

/ 3 phase converter ok ? #27  
I totally missed what the OP said in post #7. There were a few PP units on another site for $2500 each a few days ago.

Digital devices and our 3-PH motors are apples and oranges where power needs (quality) are at issue, and I'm sure most with experience (esp CNC) will agree. Y'know, PP makes 'power conditioners' for those with digital gear and poor quality 3-PH service, and shops buy/use them for 'clean' power.

New PT330 might be <$4k. There's a reason they don't go cheap if used & working. (service IS tops, btw)

Mention (or forward) this model to your printer's maker for comment.

http://www.phasetechnologies.com/phaseperfect/files/pt330specs.pdf

A few days left to bid on this one ... time enuf to receive a response from 'printco'.

phase perfect pt 33 | eBay

No matter what deal a poco gives us to install 3PH, billing might be by time of day or peak usage during a brief period (even one day during a week) that's treated as though an average. Expect to hear about 'power factor' when asking why 3 PH $$/kW doesn't parallel 1PH usage/cost if you 'go there'.

tomtint, hate to load you down with 'homework', but please visit other forums (fora?) where digital phase conversion is discussed for a better context/perspective on comments here. Several of us are also members at 'PracticalMachinist'. (not tellin' whom ...)

Transformers, Phase Converters and VFD

/ 3 phase converter ok ?
image.png
This is what they have suggested.

/ 3 phase converter ok ? #30  
Sounds like their printer ain't picky if they are suggesting a rotary.

Still probably looking at $1500-$2000 or more. I have never priced one that big. And wouldn't try to make one out of a static + motor, cause keeping voltage +/- 5% is gonna be hard on a DIY.