Steel or Poly Culvert and how much does it run where you are?

/ Steel or Poly Culvert and how much does it run where you are? #1  

lilranch2001

Tractor
Bobcat CT 235
I am going to put a culvert in a ditch on the edge of my woods
I am not quite sure how big (diameter) it needs to be but I think 12"s should suffice

What would you put in? Only my tractor, mower and Ranger will probably use it

Also how much do they run?

/ Steel or Poly Culvert and how much does it run where you are? #2  
Dunno about cost, but poly does not rust. Put it in correctly and it will outlast the national debt.

/ Steel or Poly Culvert and how much does it run where you are? #3  
I just purchased 100' of HDPE double wall (plastic) 18" pipe at 11.88/foot to fill in a ditch in my front yard, I priced 12" and it was 6.63/foot. 18-24" is pretty standard for crossing culverts but really depends on the drainage area. Came in 20' lengths with bell fitting on one end to connect two. HDPE was about 2.00/foot cheaper than metal culverts and 4.00/foot cheaper than precast concrete. Spec for burial for road crossings is 12" deep or 1/2 of the diameter of the culvert whichever is greater.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
   / Steel or Poly Culvert and how much does it run where you are? #5  
Two 18" galvanized steel culverts were installed in my driveway. That was 34+ years ago and they are still as good as new. Neither has ever seen a single drop of water thru them - its kinda dry here - so they should still be good. The raccoons sure like one of them.

If I were to do it again - I would definitely use plastic. Properly installed it will carry the load, it passes water as well a corrugated steel & will never rust out.

/ Steel or Poly Culvert and how much does it run where you are? #6  
Plastic.

It's cheaper and lasts longer.

What size you looking at. Too many different sizes to try to list everything.

As a general rule of thumb, to double flow, go up 50% in size. And double size = 4x's the flow.

IE: a 6" flows double a 4". And an 8" is 4x's. 4".

18" is double the flow of a 12", 24" is 4x's a 12"

/ Steel or Poly Culvert and how much does it run where you are? #8  
I put in a 12" plastic 16 years ago, I guess the price has gone up. :)
When I bought it they said it was rated for 72,000 lbs a square foot with one foot of dirt over it.
I have had FULL concrete trucks over it and a couple of semi's with no problems.

/ Steel or Poly Culvert and how much does it run where you are? #9  
18"x20ft galvanized is $228
18"x20ft HDPE DW is $260

Here plastic does not save you any money.

/ Steel or Poly Culvert and how much does it run where you are? #10  
18"x20ft galvanized is $228
18"x20ft HDPE DW is $260

Here plastic does not save you any money.

That's the price for hdpe with Belled ends in my area.

What's the price of a coupler for a pair of galvanized pipes if needed? Probably makes up the difference.

Even at the prices you list, there ain't enough difference for me to use galvanized.

Oh, and another rule of thumb... half the diameter of the pipe is the amount of fill needed over top.