Stone dust used for concrete mixing

/ Stone dust used for concrete mixing #1  

czechsonofagun

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B1750
The local quarry sells stone dust by a ton, it is half the price of concrete sand. I used it for setting pavers, in horse stables and other places.

Just out of curiosity I did some searching and there are studies like this one:

http://www.academicjournals.org/article/article1380365972_Mahzuz%20et%20al.pdf

that evaluate using stone dust as sand substitute for mixing concrete.

I am tempted to try it out on some paving or such.

What do you think?

/ Stone dust used for concrete mixing #2  
Probably just fine for most uses. But be aware that their comparison was between a sand & brick chip aggregate versus a stone powder & rock chip aggregate. Brick chips are never used in the USA, so the comparisons may not be valid to the materials in common use in the west, particularly the US and Canada.

/ Stone dust used for concrete mixing #3  
There are all kinds of alternative aggregates for concrete, but unless you have a way to control the material, you risk getting unexpected results. For example, sea shells have been used in concrete with good results but if you pick up salt and other impurities along with them, it damages the concrete.

/ Stone dust used for concrete mixing #4  
Worse case scenario if you do everything exactly the same, it will probably have a lower psi. For a walkway, it wont matter. The most important thing is using as little water as possible. Too much water is the number one reason for cracks.

/ Stone dust used for concrete mixing #5  
Interesting. I end up with quite a bit of fly ash from one of my burners and I've been curious about using it.

/ Stone dust used for concrete mixing #6  
Strength of aggregates depends on what the aggregate is made from. (Type of rock.) The ultimate strength of concrete is determined by the type of aggregate and mix design.

Using the stone powder should be fine but may require more cement in the mix. Fly ash has been used in concrete mixes.

If in doubt make a few bricks and see how it works.y

To get a proper answere check out the "Portland Cement" web sites. All the information is there.

/ Stone dust used for concrete mixing
I helped my dad many years ago to poor a dividing wall in the basement of his cabin. we used some kind of a expanded glass aggregate, it was very light but good enough for not bearing wall.

/ Stone dust used for concrete mixing
Name came back to me - Perlite :)

/ Stone dust used for concrete mixing #9  
Name came back to me - Perlite :)
The strength of that wall would probably match that of a paper mache wall. Perlite is usually used for insulation material or in some instances for a light weight concrete it is added to the aggregate but not totally substituted for sand and gravel.

/ Stone dust used for concrete mixing #10  
I visited a large quarry in northern Vermont that produces tombstones. They will not allow anyone under any circumstances to obtain stone dust due to potential law suits from Silicosis. Their air filtration system in the plant is nothing short of awesome. Some of the longest lasting concrete was produced by the Roman Empire. They mixed volcanic "dust" in their mixes. Here in New England we have access to what's called Hard pack, dust and small chips that I have used successfully. If you work with any type of "dust" always wear a good filter.