wood chips for temporary road

/ wood chips for temporary road #11  
Around here,, loggers that are chipping trees, and hauling logs, bed roads with chips all the time.
It must work,,, the logs keep coming out of the woods!! :D

/ wood chips for temporary road #12  
i use wood chips on my trail -- and its all clay like . every fall and spring if i dont have a layer of wood chips down, then i cant drive on it, i end up making the path worse and then eventually getting stuck. I would have to wait till it freezes over then i can drive it again. . i even use my full sized cars on it no problems. the trick here is to get it laid down BEFORE it gets muddy. If you drive on it and it starts to squish around, the wood chips will take over a year to stablize as it will resquish around, no matter how you try to repack it. in 2-3 years it will be broken down enough you can plow it under. You need over 2-3 inches thick to make it effective to drive on. any thicker you will feel alot of rolling resistance, but its ok. I am speaking of over 10 years experience here and it works for me. i get the chips for free from the power line tree clearing and i always ask for it. they always gawk at me do i really want it that rough wood chips?! with a smile - why yes i do. its the perfect stuff for the trail to drive on, not the triple ground up stuff from landscaping places.

/ wood chips for temporary road #13  
Near me, local sawmills also have larger wood chips.

/ wood chips for temporary road #14  
Lots of trails finished in chips. The chips are flat and layer well. Lots of use by forestry.

It'll work but as stated hopefully more than 3/4 inch.

/ wood chips for temporary road #15  
Years back I tried wood chip about 200' 6" + deep work well about 5years or so.
If hauling loaded trailer add lot more chips,don't get near edges. :eek:

/ wood chips for temporary road
thanks to all for the inout,
answering a few questions:

I would use the term road quite loosely. it would basically be a path thru a hayfield to get to an adjacent property i am clearing. once the clearing is done and the final road alignment is done, then a proper road would be built.
since it is a hayfield, there wouldnt be any livestock neart the chips (at least not on purpose anyway). I am not worried about the deer, they can take care of themmselves.
the "traffic" would be my tractor on weekends. maybe an ocassion pickup trip.

Thanks,