Bluegrass build... one step at a time.

/ Bluegrass build... one step at a time. #1  

Dadnatron

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 5100e with FEL
After having grown up on a ranch in Southwest Colorado, I left to go to school, always with the intention of returning to the mountains and buying a farm. Skip 30years later, and... after school, career, 2 kids and a different state, I've gone and purchased 84ac of Prime Kentucky Bluegrass. The property is in the 'Beverly Hills' of horse country, although it would more aptly represent the rundown corner lot of a 90210 address, given its shape compared to the neighbors.

The land was part of an original land grant following the Revolutionary war. 1000ac was given to this, and several other families in the area with the push to go West and settle. Its funny, how at that time, KY was still a part of Virginia or only recently made a territory of its own, and was considered 'the Western Frontier'. This 1000ac was passed down within the family (split up into smaller parcels) but remained within that family until we made the first purchase. Yes... this land had never been 'sold or purchased before'. So, we are the interlopers, but, the folks and family around the area have welcomed us openly. Which is very nice for us.

Our goal is to turn this 84ac of soybeans, corn, and tobacco into a manageable thoroughbred horse farm. We have a few horses and realized that the cost of boarding them was equal to the cost of purchasing a place and putting them on our own land. So, after 2 years of searching for 'just the right place', we found it and made the jump. We took roughly half of the original offered property, in an 'L' shape with road frontage on two different lanes. The only structure on the property is an 80-90 year old 12bent tobacco barn. (More on that later)

My goal is to document the progress here on TBN. I'm going to try to do as much myself as is possible, however, I hope to insure that the farm and the building of it, is done well. So there will definitely be hired professionals involved. I live about 3 hours away, for my career, so I will only be on the property on weekends and vacations, but, I believe that will still be better for me than the suburban life I have had for the last 15yrs.

I will post pics, thoughts, etc here. I've read a few other threads who have documented their progress in building a house, barns, etc. I hope I can do as well as they and enjoy it every bit as much.

So for my first pic... a Sat view of the property. I'll refer to it often, I suspect. 2100 Pisgah Rd, Versailles KY.JPG

Last edited:
   / Bluegrass build... one step at a time. #2  
Hope things go well for you, looks like it will be a pretty place. Ed

/ Bluegrass build... one step at a time. #3  
Right... Starting a horse farm is a good financial decision?! Lol. I hope you didn't actually convince yourselves of that. Sounds like a TON of fun though with enough available funds. Very jealous.

/ Bluegrass build... one step at a time.
A good financial decision???... Well... lets just say it is a good 'LIFE' decision. Being on that tractor has done wonders for my outlook.

This property is beautiful to me. Perhaps it is so, because in my mind's eye, I can envision the future changes, even as I look out over weeds and broken fences. Currently, it is in short season soybeans. These should be off in about 10 days. My goal this fall is to have all the fence out of the interior and as much out around the periphery as possible.

The farmer is going to spray the entire plot and then reseed it with a horse pasture mix. There is fescue in the 'draws' which, while it holds the soil in place and is great for cattle, is not acceptable for horses. The endophyte in the grass which causes it to be such a good producing grass has also been implicated in early term abortions in horses. Thus... it HAS TO GO! The whole reason I'm building this farm is for my horses.

At this stage I have a few requirements and lots of wishes. My goal is to advance towards my end goal, but I understand this will be in stages. I have an old tobacco barn on the property which I think we will move to another location to make our main stable barn. I had a builder come take a look at it to see whether it was salvageable, and he said it was in excellent structural form, although the boxing (outside boards) and roof will have to be redone. He said it would likely be cheaper to move this barn than to build a new one. So, at least at this moment, that is our thought.

My 1 year goal is to have 'a barn', grass, and enough fence to move my horses to the property. My goal is to do this July 1 or thereabouts. The grass should be in and adequate for horses, at least on some of the property. I should have enough time to put in fence. And hopefully, I will have been able to move the barn and get it into 'Stable shape'. In order to do this, I will be focusing on the Southeast portion of the property. This is open and flat enough that there 'shouldn't' be too much to do other than utilities and barn moving. When I get horses on the property, hopefully $ will ease up a bit and allow for a few more things.

My own personal issue, is that I want to do it all at once. I know that I need to pace myself, and do what is necessary to meet my closest goal. You might need to remind me every now and then.
2100 Pisgah Rd, Versailles KY TBN1.jpg

/ Bluegrass build... one step at a time. #5  
Good Luck with your project, I'll be following along. Do you have to dig a well I would assume?
Horses need water.

There is 'city' water on the 2 main roads. But at this moment, no water on the property. We will eventually tap into the water line. But I haven't gotten that far yet. A well is an option, but once again, we aren't there yet. For the early stages, I might just get a water tank and run water from a fill station. I'm looking at up front costs vs longer term.

How can I post a pic via the Mobile app for TDN. Or the mobile web page? I've tried to find a thread, but they seem to be for computers rather than mobile.

iPhone 6S+

/ Bluegrass build... one step at a time. #8  
There is a TBN app in the app store produced by tapatalk.

[

image-824364890.jpg
"Dinner for 7, large log by the pond"

/ Bluegrass build... one step at a time. #10  
My advice, sometime soon, make sure the boundary is marked (was there a survey done?, keep the markers intact, protect them)... a few years down the road and memory starts fading and all of a sudden, 25 years down the road and the markers are not where you thought...

should be fun..