Skid Sheds

/ Skid Sheds #1  

super55

Platinum Member
Tractor
Oliver Super55, John Deere 4310, John Deere 4400, Kubota L2500 (had),
I been considering on purchasing or building a what I call a skid shed. Sheds that are delivered assembled on flatbed and have no foundation or set posts.

I see a lot of vendors on craigslist selling them and they look to be of good quality and pretty reasonably priced. Plus they apparently even offering financing for them.

There's a couple reasons why I am really interested in one. First reason is because it is not fastened to the ground local zoning considers it a temporary structure which means I don't have to pull any permits and because it is movable I can encroach on the setbacks.

The other thing is I really like the idea of being able to drag it around to another location on the property if I may have the need to. I'm not in a tornado/hurricane zone so I'm not worried about it blowing away.

What I would like is a 12x24 run-in shelter that I could store some of my implements in.

Anybody with experience with a delivered building please chime in.

/ Skid Sheds #2  
I have a portable wooden shed but it has a wooden floor. Not sure how implements would work in something like that.

I have a BIL using an aluminum pole type structure with a heavy canvas cover. He is in northern WI and he swears by it. It has to be anchored down though and would be a pain to move, but would be possible.

Are you looking for something with a floor in it.

Why not get a permit, concrete a floor, and put a pole barn type structure up? That would be a lot sturdier than a temporary thing. Even though you don't get tornadoes, a 70 MPH wind will move a lot of stuff.

/ Skid Sheds #3  
I've built a few skid sheds and suppose to be doing one now that's 14x20 which will be the largest I've ever done. Over the years I may have done 20 of them but most just 8x12 or so. I few things that comes to mind is that size is quite large and would be within codes here. That is you'd need a permit. It would also be quite hard to move one that size. The 14x20 we're doing I pray would never need to be moved.

/ Skid Sheds
I might still do a conventional post type structure. I only need to pull a land use permit because it will be for ag use. I'm certain it would probably be cheaper to go this route because I wouldn't have to build a frame for which the building to rest upon.

There's quite a companies that build these things in michigan and their prices are pretty competitive. The one thing that worries me about a run-in shelter is the one side is completely open. I have a feeling if the thing is not anchored down that a good gust of wind could catch below it and flip it right over.

/ Skid Sheds #5  
The 14x20 I just drew up has a 3/4 plywood floor supported by 2x8 at 1ft centers which is screwed down. In fact I use nearly no nails in this construction because it might get moved one day. The 2x8's are spanning 6ft so it should take quite a load. A 10ft roll-up door on the 14ft end at center. Oh and 90psf roof. Thats code here for snow. My building will be staked down for winds.

Attached is a skid shed we built some years ago and moved to to build a larger one.

Attachments

• IMG_1974.jpg
    IMG_1974.jpg
    401.3 KB · Views: 2,972
   / Skid Sheds #6  
The 14x20 I just drew up has a 3/4 plywood floor supported by 2x8 at 1ft centers which is screwed down. In fact I use nearly no nails in this construction because it might get moved one day. The 2x8's are spanning 6ft so it should take quite a load. A 10ft roll-up door on the 14ft end at center. Oh and 90psf roof. Thats code here for snow. My building will be staked down for winds. Attached is a skid shed we built some years ago and moved to to build a larger one.

Any chance that I could get a copy of your 14 x 20 drawing?

/ Skid Sheds #7  
With regards to run-ins/machine sheds, it helps if you can put the closed side (or at least a back corner) toward the prevailing wind.

So here for example where the wind most often comes from the northwest, you will see them back to the west or north whenever possible. You will still get snow eddies in and such, but as least the roof usually stays on.

Speaking of which, it seems to be a random mix of regular gable roof, "saltbox" uneven length roof coming down further in the back, and single slope shed roof. Nice thing about single slope roof is the rain drains on the side you aren't going in and out. I suspect which style roof is used has as much to do with available materials as preference...or if the building was re-purposed from a previously existing structure.

/ Skid Sheds
ArlyA you sure 90 psf is enough for Houghton Mi? You yoopers up in the Keewanaw sure love the white stuff.:snowman: Seriously that is one nice shelter you built. Were there any issues dragging it around with the UTV or was there any shifting in the structure itself?

/ Skid Sheds #9  
We tried hard but didn't get it moved any more than 6". So we reverted to a slightly larger tow machine.. :laughing:

I build these sheds with the idea they may get moved. Yes that adds cost and time to there construction. After skidding this shed around the lot, we couldn't tell anything had moved on it.

ArlyA you sure 90 psf is enough for Houghton Mi? You yoopers up in the Keewanaw sure love the white stuff.:snowman: Seriously that is one nice shelter you built. Were there any issues dragging it around with the UTV or was there any shifting in the structure itself?

Attachments

• loadertows2.jpg
    loadertows2.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 232
  • loadertows.jpg
    loadertows.jpg
    305.3 KB · Views: 385