Can Hardie Plank Lap Siding be Installed Vertically?

/ Can Hardie Plank Lap Siding be Installed Vertically? #1  

Beltzington

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 3720
Looking for a durable less expensive solution for B&B siding than using all wood. I have never worked with cement siding but was considering using the Hardie planks mounted vertically for the board and using cedar for the battens. The plank is spec'd at .312" thick which I am sure has allot of flex but I will be nailing it flat onto 1/2" sheathing so I do not think this will be an issue. I know they make a Hardie Panel but I do not want any horizontal seems showing. My main concern is the lap siding is tapered across the width. Any other problems I am overlooking?

/ Can Hardie Plank Lap Siding be Installed Vertically? #2  
Looking for a durable less expensive solution for B&B siding than using all wood. I have never worked with cement siding but was considering using the Hardie planks mounted vertically for the board and using cedar for the battens. The plank is spec'd at .312" thick which I am sure has allot of flex but I will be nailing it flat onto 1/2" sheathing so I do not think this will be an issue. I know they make a Hardie Panel but I do not want any horizontal seems showing. My main concern is the lap siding is tapered across the width. Any other problems I am overlooking?

The stuff expands and contracts a lot so that might be an issue. It's also tapered for use as standard clap boards. Don't know why you'd mix wood and hardy planks like that. Over all I'd say no. Why not just go to standard claps and be done with the B&B look? It would seem easier to install that way.

/ Can Hardie Plank Lap Siding be Installed Vertically? #3  

Is there a reason you can't use Hardie sheet siding and just fake battens except over the joints ?

/ Can Hardie Plank Lap Siding be Installed Vertically? #4  
Is there a reason you can't use Hardie sheet siding and just fake battens except over the joints ?

That's what I'm considering. and I'm considering non wood battens as well. I want min maint on new house as I hope to get quite old in it.

/ Can Hardie Plank Lap Siding be Installed Vertically?
The stuff expands and contracts a lot so that might be an issue. It's also tapered for use as standard clap boards. Don't know why you'd mix wood and hardy planks like that. Over all I'd say no. Why not just go to standard claps and be done with the B&B look? It would seem easier to install that way.

I was afraid it was tapered, thanks for the info. I never have cared for clap board siding, just personal preference.

/ Can Hardie Plank Lap Siding be Installed Vertically?

I originally considered this but looking at the pictures of the Hardie panel it looks like the wood grain runs the width of the panel not the length resulting in a horizontal seem every 4'. Also, I will be installing solo and managing a 4x8 sheet of cement board is beyond me.

/ Can Hardie Plank Lap Siding be Installed Vertically? #7  
I originally considered this but looking at the pictures of the Hardie panel it looks like the wood grain runs the width of the panel not the length resulting in a horizontal seem every 4'. Also, I will be installing solo and managing a 4x8 sheet of cement board is beyond me.

No reason you couldn't install claps signal handed but you'd have to overcome your aversion to claps. I have it on my house and think it looks OK. I like it because it is also more fire resistant and fire is a concern where I live. Rot resistant and bugs don't eat it either. The only thing you have to do is get a hardy blade for your skill saw but you can also scribe and snap to length like drywall. To do holes for outlets and such I use my oscillating saw with an abrasive blade. Due to expansion you have to install outlets on wooden blocks and leave about a 1/4" gap around the block. There is a lot of info on the Hardy site that you might want to check out. They also have shingles so that's another option if you just can't bring yourself to do claps. James Hardie - World Leader in Fiber Cement Siding and Backerboard
They have vertical siding but I don't know if it's sheets or individual planks.

/ Can Hardie Plank Lap Siding be Installed Vertically? #8  
Hardi "brand" is not tapered, at least none that I've come across. It's flat across the face and all sides. This includes 4",6", 8" exposure "claps" as well as thier "shingles".
These were on jobs within the past 2 years.:confused3:

/ Can Hardie Plank Lap Siding be Installed Vertically? #9  
Hardi "brand" is not tapered, at least none that I've come across. It's flat across the face and all sides. This includes 4",6", 8" exposure "claps" as well as thier "shingles".
These were on jobs within the past 2 years.:confused3:

Know what you're right. My bad. I sure thought they were but I just looked at a couple of cut pieces I use for color/paint samples and they are not tapered.

/ Can Hardie Plank Lap Siding be Installed Vertically? #10  
Personally, I think cement siding is going to be the next "Masonite" type class action lawsuit. If you've ever read the installation & warranty info thoroughly, or talked to a siding contractor that has had "issues" we'll say, with this stuff and the factory rep. you'd run away from it fast. It's almost as if it's not meant to get wet.
I'll put it this way, if you put as much care into installing wood siding as is required by Hardi pryor to and while installing it, wood will last just as long.
They have done a fantastic job selling this stuff, starting by calling it "cement", and going on from there. People think it's similar to their cement driveway or sidewalk-NOT.