rust removal

/ rust removal #1  

crash325

Elite Member
Tractor
New Holland TC-45
I know this has been posted before. But 2 searches did not turn up anything.

12 Battery, Borax & charger?? + type of metal.

Its been said Coke also works, anyone tried it??

Thanks for your help.

/ rust removal #2  
The battery charger works, all kinds of videos on line with the fine points of it. Tried it once and found some thing I did wrong but it still worked just took longer and more adjusting, didn't have enough negitive posts in the water and had to turn it a lot. Ed

/ rust removal #3  
Go to YouTube and search for "rust battery charger". You will get several videos on the subject.

Another option is evap-o-rust. I personally have used it and it works great. It's not cheap at around $20 per gallon but can be reused over an over.

/ rust removal #5  
Many of the new chargers may not work for what you have in mind.

Don't know the scope of your prodject but applying phosphoric acid will neutralize rust and leave a coating. Lots of other acids that will also work.

/ rust removal
thanks folks
appreciate your responses.

/ rust removal #7  
Depending on what you are trying to clean up, but good old Muratic acid is a cheep rust killer. After I get the majority off with it, I also use a final Phosphoric acid dip to "convert" rust to a stable oxide.

/ rust removal #8  
I just restored an old Griswold cast iron waffle iron. It was so rusty I had no idea if it was even good still or not. I just put it in a bucket that was about 75/25 distilled vinegar and water. About 3 days in the solution was bubbling and turning foamy with the water being rust color. I pulled it out and was amazed what a treasure I found. Couldn't even tell the thing was over 100 years old.

If you have the time, vinegar and water works wonders and it's non-toxic.

/ rust removal #9  
Another good rust remover is liquid molasses from a feed mill mixed about 8 water - 1 molasses. Works very well over time on is also not toxic.

/ rust removal #10  
Diet coke: Non toxic (well you could argue that) and not sticky.