Need some advice on installing field fence

/ Need some advice on installing field fence #1  

STx

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC40 DA, Deere 17D, Hyster SX50 forklift, Case D450, Kubota ZD1011-54, International Dump Truck, Kubota SVL-952S, Volovo EC250DL
I'm planning on fencing in about 9 acres in the near future. I'm not sure what will end up inside the fence, I know for certain there will be up to 4 cows and think we'll probably end up with some goats and maybe a couple of horses at some point. I'm going to use 49" woven wire field fence (image attached below) with steel T-Posts and I'm going to build my own corner posts, brace post and H posts out of 2" galvanized steel pipe.

Our land has a gentle roll to it, there will be some elevation change but no undulation along the fence line. It's a smooth slope.

I have a few questions that I hope you guys can help me with.

1 - I'm planning on spacing the T-Posts 12' apart and using 7' T-Posts driven 2.5' into the ground. This will leave me about 6" of post above the fence to install a hot wire or a barbed wire strand. Anything wrong with this plan?

2 - I'm getting the fence in 660' rolls, what spacing should I have for brace post and H posts? I'm thinking about every 330'.

3 - My big question, how do I attach the fence to galvanized corner, brace and H posts? It's not like I can hammer fence staples into them. Is there something available that will make this easy? The only thing I've come up with so far is to wrap the fencing around the end posts and secure it to itself and to use wire to attach it to the H posts like I would a T-Post.

What don't I know to ask about? We've used welded wire field fence to create a yard for the dog and chickens but, it's only fencing in about 4,000 sq/ft so the stresses on the posts and such aren't nearly the same. We also used wood corner and end posts so attaching the fencing to those was no problem.

24600168.jpg

Last edited:
   / Need some advice on installing field fence #2  
I'm planning on fencing in about 9 acres in the near future. I'm not sure what will end up inside the fence, I know for certain there will be up to 4 cows and think we'll probably end up with some goats and maybe a couple of horses at some point. I'm going to use 49" woven wire field fence (image attached below) with steel T-Posts and I'm going to build my own corner posts, brace post and H posts out of 2" galvanized steel pipe.

Our land has a gentle roll to it, there will be some elevation change but no undulation along the fence line. It's a smooth slope.

I have a few questions that I hope you guys can help me with.

1 - I'm planning on spacing the T-Posts 12' apart and using 7' T-Posts driven 3' into the ground. This will leave me about 10" of post above the fence to install a hot wire or a barbed wire strand. Anything wrong with this plan?

2 - I'm getting the fence in 660' rolls, what spacing should I have for brace post and H posts? I'm thinking about every 330'.

3 - My big question, how do I attach the fence to galvanized corner, brace and H posts? It's not like I can hammer fence staples into them. Is there something available that will make this easy? The only thing I've come up with so far is to wrap the fencing around the end posts and secure it to itself and to use wire to attach it to the H posts like I would a T-Post.

What don't I know to ask about? We've used welded wire field fence to create a yard for the dog and chickens but, it's only fencing in about 4,000 sq/ft so the stresses on the posts and such aren't nearly the same. We also used wood corner and end posts so attaching the fencing to those was no problem.

View attachment 485349

I don't think steel posts and a hot wire will work very well unless you plan to put insulators on every post for the hot wire.

/ Need some advice on installing field fence #3  
Where are the gates going in? And do you want the gates to inter-connect/lead into the next paddock?

Metal, braced, corner posts are available... I've seen them used in predominately coastal areas due to salty air rotting wood posts & strainers.

/ Need some advice on installing field fence
I don't think steel posts and a hot wire will work very well unless you plan to put insulators on every post for the hot wire.

If I put a hot wire, it will go on insulators. I won't put one one unless we get horses, most likely.

Where are the gates going in? And do you want the gates to inter-connect/lead into the next paddock?

Metal, braced, corner posts are available... I've seen them used in predominately coastal areas due to salty air rotting wood posts & strainers.

The gates will go on the galvanized pipe. This is fencing the perimeter of what we're using for the homestead part of the property, cross fencing will come later. On this part, there will only be 3 gates. An entry gate from the road (already in place, on a 6" wood post), a gate from this to the back 27 acres (will be mounted between 2 existing galvanized H posts) and a gate from the area where the shop will be into it (will probably also go between a couple of H posts).

I know I can buy metal brace, corner and H posts but, they're $150/ea, more for galvanized. I can buy a joint of galvanized pipe for less than $50 and build my own in under an hour and I'm ok with $100/hr for my time.

/ Need some advice on installing field fence #6  
My paddocks are somewhat interconnected using, what I call, a 'Y' gate formation... I can access a paddock individually or open from one to another by joining the gates.

Attachments

• Y gates.JPG
    Y gates.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 201
   / Need some advice on installing field fence #7  
If any of the fence is going on the lot line then you should check what the fence laws are for your state.

/ Need some advice on installing field fence #9  
Definitely just wrap the wire behind the corner posts. Further, I recommend installing the fencing inside of the posts.

If any of the fence is going on the lot line then you should check what the fence laws are for your state.

There's no state rules on fencing in Texas and my county requires permits for septic systems and drilling wells so I have no government BS to deal with, thankfully.