Shipping Container Shops anyone?

/ Shipping Container Shops anyone? #11  
Compare the cost to stick building it yourself. I think it's about the same money, and the stick built is going to be much nicer.

/ Shipping Container Shops anyone? #12  
I have a 20 foot behind my garage. I agree a shop would be tight in that space but doable and better than nothing. I will probably
Move it to my land this winter to have secure storage for my tools.

/ Shipping Container Shops anyone? #13  
That's what I am thinking of. A 40 footer hopefully if I can squeeze it in and use half as a shop and the other half to store some smaller implements in that might grow legs when no one is around. If not one 20 footer and forget the shop space. All my equipment is located on a property about 6 miles from my house so I can't keep an eye on it easily. If I had a container I could be reasonably sure it was secure or present an obstacle to someone breaking easily. I've used them many times on jobsites and know how the lock can be protected against prying and such. Yes, I know that its not that difficult to lug a portable cutting torch or one of a dozen other tools and make short work of any lock but it will stop the opportunistic thefts. I can get electric to it underground without much trouble so it would not be exposed where power could be interrupted and could rig up an alarm and maybe a camera or two and have all that connected through a cell modem for monitoring. There is no telephone or cable service nearby, only electric. Now if we had BPL (Broadband over PowerLine) I'd be all set, but no.

/ Shipping Container Shops anyone? #14  
Sometimes a container is needed to bypass zoning bylaws.
Al

/ Shipping Container Shops anyone? #15  
Has anyone had a problem with chemicals that might have been used to kill critters during shipping? It probably wouldn't be a problem for storage, but might be if you were in the container for long periods. Just thinking.

Norm

/ Shipping Container Shops anyone? #16  
Has anyone had a problem with chemicals that might have been used to kill critters during shipping? It probably wouldn't be a problem for storage, but might be if you were in the container for long periods. Just thinking. Norm
Mine smelled like manure. I painted the wooden floor with grey deck/porch paint any the problem was solved.

/ Shipping Container Shops anyone? #17  
+1 for the zoning. My property was part of a factory, so the building was sold off by itself leaving me with less then 10 acres with my house and garages. I was told by the local zoning God that I could not put up a tent let alone a pole barn. Three containers later my problem has been solved.

/ Shipping Container Shops anyone? #18  
+1 for the zoning. My property was part of a factory, so the building was sold off by itself leaving me with less then 10 acres with my house and garages. I was told by the local zoning God that I could not put up a tent let alone a pole barn. Three containers later my problem has been solved.

This county is mostly a rural area but still the County requires a fence high enough to screen containers from roadways and neighbors. A friend of mine got caught due to fly over mapping program the county does routinely to find zoning and building permit violations. There was 200' green belt between the containers and the road and neighbors didn't care. Getting to the point you cannot get away with anything that generates a fee for the county bureaucrats.

Ron

/ Shipping Container Shops anyone? #19  
Here in the NW those metal containers drip condensation all winter, unless insulated and heated. Ventilation will stop the condensation if CFM is high enough, but gets real cold in the winter. Consider using a reefer van, probably cheaper than doing the modifications.

Ron

Hope this was read by the OP. My neighbor had $10K worth of tools and equipment destroyed in a container he loaded up and let set for 6 months over the winter before he started the project it was all for. Everything was soaking wet and rusted/corroded up.

Ron

/ Shipping Container Shops anyone?
Yup, the OP got the news. Back to the drawing board... Just got the quote for my 80x100 shop with 20 foot overhang. Ka Ching.