Shipping Container Shops anyone?

/ Shipping Container Shops anyone? #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
Looking for a semi temporary (2 year plan) shop space. I will be limited to one container, probably 40ft. Would love to see what everyone has done and what work and what does not. It will be wood oriented, but happy to see metal shop ideas as well.

/ Shipping Container Shops anyone? #2  
Looking for a semi temporary (2 year plan) shop space. I will be limited to one container, probably 40ft. Would love to see what everyone has done and what work and what does not. It will be wood oriented, but happy to see metal shop ideas as well.

I can't imagine having a wood-shop space that's only 8' or 8'6" wide.

One thing I've noticed with containers though is any decent 40' seems to go for about $2500+ plus transportation costs. For that price you can often find a running driving 60-72 passenger school bus which gives you similar space, and it's mobile. Just something to consider.

/ Shipping Container Shops anyone? #3  
I put two of them side by side and put a roof over them that worked well for awhile. I needed secure storage before I moved to the land and felt they where the best bang for the buck. I've also modified several of them by adding windows and 3 foot exterior doors to them for clients. I currently have a 40 foot container that I use for storage that I paid $1,000 for. In my opinion, it's better to spend a little more for a premade shed then to try to modify a container for anything other then storage. You can also build a small pole barn for less then it costs to buy a 40 foot container and modify it.

A 40 foot container is 320 square feet. Figure $2,500 to buy one, add another grand to modify it and you are now over $100 per square foot.

/ Shipping Container Shops anyone? #4  
I put two of them side by side and put a roof over them that worked well for awhile. I needed secure storage before I moved to the land and felt they where the best bang for the buck. I've also modified several of them by adding windows and 3 foot exterior doors to them for clients. I currently have a 40 foot container that I use for storage that I paid $1,000 for. In my opinion, it's better to spend a little more for a premade shed then to try to modify a container for anything other then storage. You can also build a small pole barn for less then it costs to buy a 40 foot container and modify it.

A 40 foot container is 320 square feet. Figure $2,500 to buy one, add another grand to modify it and you are now over $100 per square foot.

I agree with the shop over conex. Mine is awfully tight and gets hot. As to the money, isn't it about $11 per ft? $3500/320?

Brett

/ Shipping Container Shops anyone? #5  
hahaha. Your right. My math was way off.

/ Shipping Container Shops anyone? #6  
Maybe Eddie's came with gold plated floor tile... *grin* 'delux conex box'

/ Shipping Container Shops anyone? #8  
A buddy of mine added a sliding door on the side of his shop/storage. Instead of cutting the opening all the way around he cut the two vertical cuts then the bottom and raised the side up and put two posts one at each corner. That way he had a roof for a porch. Made a good place to sit and have a beverage :drink:

/ Shipping Container Shops anyone? #9  
Here in the NW those metal containers drip condensation all winter, unless insulated and heated. Ventilation will stop the condensation if CFM is high enough, but gets real cold in the winter. Consider using a reefer van, probably cheaper than doing the modifications.

Ron

/ Shipping Container Shops anyone? #10  
I understand the better containers that you can buy are ones that have only been shipped across the ocean once. They aren't likely to be as beat up and roofs don't leak.

I don't have any experience buying containers, but that's what I've gleaned from other discussions, FWIW.