Metal building leaking windows

/ Metal building leaking windows #21  
tab1234, Your pictures back up my question above. It's not about the windows as much as the siding. How is metal siding supposed to be installed to avoid this situation? Water can get under the siding (between siding and J channel) and trickle down inside the structure on a pole barn type build. It's not like the sheathed buildings with wrap, that can shed water down. Once it's on the inside of the metal, it is in the building. Or in your case, absorbed in the insulation.
Back to my question above, how do you seal metal siding around j channel windows on a pole barn?

If properly done as per the details attached, there are many ways to prevent what you question.

Start about page 36

http://www.fabral.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/bluebook.pdf

/ Metal building leaking windows #22  
Thanks for all the responses. View attachment 486845View attachment 486846View attachment 486847View attachment 486848View attachment 486849View attachment 486850 Tried to attach photos, will see if it works. Gutter overhang is not the issue.

After looking at these pictures I'm conflicted. Your builder did a really nice job of framing your building. Exceptional. So I kind of feel bad calling him an idiot. But then he did use open cell foam, and that's really, REALLY bad. Was that his idea or did the spray foam company talk you into using that stuff on a metal building? Maybe your builder was outside the loop on that part of it because he really seems to know what he's doing on the framing.

I like that tape was used on the windows. I don't think they are leaking. While this is just splitting hairs, if all the windows are taped like that, the leak is not from the windows. Even if the water is on the windows or around the windows, they are not the problem.

Your issue is in your J channel around the windows and the metal siding. From your pictures, it kind of looks to me like he cut the top channel at a 45 degree in the corners instead of keeping it straight so water will go out past the window. J channel should catch the water coming down the wall and act like a miniature gutter by carrying the water off to the sides, away from the window.

Was the J channel installed properly behind the siding with fasteners at the top of it and away from the lower area that would allow water to get through it?

Piling on caulking is not the answer. He needs to remove the metal siding and redo the channel around your windows. My guess is that somebody new on the job did this wrong and either didn't know any better. This is not a slop job, so it leads me to believe it was a beginners mistake that just got overlooked and your builder is hoping for a quick fix instead of losing money redoing every window.

/ Metal building leaking windows #23  
I somehow missed the pole building issue of FHB during the last thirty years of my subscription.

If you read what i wrote i said the main reason for that post was to comment on how seldom i saw these magazines mentioned. Not once did i say fine homebuilding was a pole barn building source of information.

From the pictures now being shown it seems its not a pole barn frame up.

The original subject was on problems the original poster had resulting from poorly installed windows. The magazines listed do have great info in them on how to install windows correctly and materials to use.

Glad to see others such as you also read them.

Last edited:
   / Metal building leaking windows #24  
   / Metal building leaking windows #25  
I'd have him pull the siding around the window, then remove and redo the window with properly installed j channel. Bottom piece first, then sides that extend a little past the bottom, then top that goes over the sides. Reinstall siding and refoam inside w closed cell.

/ Metal building leaking windows #26  
There's a good chance foam expanded & pushed outwards on the windows. As the other's stated, windows need to be pilled, PERIOD.

Ronnie

/ Metal building leaking windows #27  
I've never heard of open cell foam pushing anything. It's pretty soft, which is why it holds water so badly. I don't see any reason to remove the windows at this stage, but the metal does have to come off to fix the problem.

/ Metal building leaking windows
   / Metal building leaking windows
So looks like the advice is to have contractor redo the J channels around the windows. Open cell was stated in the contract, spec recommended/provided by builder, I asked for sprayed insulation. I asked when it was being installed if it acted as the vapor barrier. The contractor said yes. Insulation guy said with thickness of installation condensation on inside of metal would not be a problem. Inside is done, so I don't see how to go back and retrofit with closed cell.

/ Metal building leaking windows #30  
Commercial foam (closed or open cell) should not be applied to window or door frames. Due to its high expansion rate, it will distort the frames locking windows and pushing doors out of square. These areas are filled with can foam.

It's hard for me believe that an experienced spray foam company would make this mistake. If the windows open and close as they should, I doubt this is your problem.