Metal roof for the Woodshed #2: How much overhang is too much?

/ Metal roof for the Woodshed #2: How much overhang is too much? #1  

FTG-05

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4330 GST w/FEL, Kubota RTV-XG850, Kubota ZD326S
Just got done with Woodshed #2. I used metal roofing just like I did with the first woodshed, but this time I ended up with about an 11 1/4" overhang. See pics.

IMG_20161117_111935410_HDR (Large).jpgIMG_20161117_111940396 (Large).jpgIMG_20161117_111951451 (Large).jpgIMG_20161117_112040867_HDR (Large).jpg

Is this too much overhang or do I need to support it some way?

We don't get snow too much here in SC TN; mayber 4-6" once every three years or so.

LMK what you think.

Thanks,

Attachments

• IMG_20151219_144634633 (Large).jpg
    IMG_20151219_144634633 (Large).jpg
    708.6 KB · Views: 2,037
   / Metal roof for the Woodshed #2: How much overhang is too much? #2  
When I did my cabin roof, the specs for the pro panel wanted no more than 2 inches of unsupported roofing at the end. Pro Panel metal roofing is the most rigid and thickest gauge metal roofing I could find.

I don't know what type of roofing that is, but my little shed at the cabin had about a foot of unsupported metal at the end. We have snow loads of 10+ feet and I did get some metal bending, but it did not cause any structural issues...just aesthetics. Since you don't have my type of snow loads, I think you should be fine.

/ Metal roof for the Woodshed #2: How much overhang is too much? #3  
Snow load is one thing, high/strong winds is another.
I would support it or cut it off shorter; 2" give or take. It is to long as it is. IMHO.

/ Metal roof for the Woodshed #2: How much overhang is too much? #4  
18" overhang is ok as long as you extend your plywood to support it out to 2" or less from the end. You do want this overhang past the wood to keep water from running back under the metal. As you have it now, a strong wind might get under it and rip the whole sheet off.

I am not sure how you can support it now and the rest of the roof seems to be not well supported. I would remove all the sheet metal and lay down a 1/2" thick plywood on top of the trusses then put your sheet metal back on. Just make sure that your plywood extends out to support all but the last 2-3" of the sheet metal. This is standard practice in my area and we don't have snow load

By the way, most builders don't like to extend the roof more than 12" from the wall edge.

/ Metal roof for the Woodshed #2: How much overhang is too much? #5  
Snow load is one thing, high/strong winds is another.
I would support it or cut it off shorter; 2" give or take. It is to long as it is. IMHO.

I'd be concerned about wind too. But I don't know the location and surroundings. My residence property and my farm are exposed to high wind with no cover surrounding the buildings.

Edit: After studying the pics better, it appears he is well protected from wind? With no heavy snow load he might get along fine.

/ Metal roof for the Woodshed #2: How much overhang is too much? #6  
I would screw on a 2x4 laterally about 2" back from the edge, and then screw a 3' "cripple" 2x4 on to every 2nd, or every 3rd rafter. That will be enough to keep things stable, and you will have peace of mind.

/ Metal roof for the Woodshed #2: How much overhang is too much? #7  
I would screw on a 2x4 laterally about 2" back from the edge, and then screw a 3' "cripple" 2x4 on to every 2nd, or every 3rd rafter. That will be enough to keep things stable, and you will have peace of mind.

That makes sense to me. Otherwise I think the wind is going too rip that roof off eventually.

/ Metal roof for the Woodshed #2: How much overhang is too much? #8  
18" overhang is ok as long as you extend your plywood to support it out to 2" or less from the end. You do want this overhang past the wood to keep water from running back under the metal. As you have it now, a strong wind might get under it and rip the whole sheet off.

I am not sure how you can support it now and the rest of the roof seems to be not well supported. I would remove all the sheet metal and lay down a 1/2" thick plywood on top of the trusses then put your sheet metal back on. Just make sure that your plywood extends out to support all but the last 2-3" of the sheet metal. This is standard practice in my area and we don't have snow load

By the way, most builders don't like to extend the roof more than 12" from the wall edge.

Why do you put plywood under R panel metal roofing? I know you have to for hidden seam metal roofs because it needs the support, but R panels don't need that level of support. Just set your purlins at the distance required by the manufacturer. Here, it's every four feet. Do you pout roofing paper on top of the plywood to deal with the condensation that forms under the metal?

Why do "most builders" not extend the roof more then 12 inches? Hardie makes a soffit board that's 16 inches wide that seems to sell pretty good, and is pretty common on new construction around here.

/ Metal roof for the Woodshed #2: How much overhang is too much? #9  
Just got done with Woodshed #2. I used metal roofing just like I did with the first woodshed, but this time I ended up with about an 11 1/4" overhang. See pics.

View attachment 488292View attachment 488293View attachment 488294View attachment 488295

Is this too much overhang or do I need to support it some way?

We don't get snow too much here in SC TN; mayber 4-6" once every three years or so.

LMK what you think.

Thanks,

My first thought was that maybe you could add some lumber to support the metal, but I don't really think that's the best solution. While I hate to do it, I think cutting it is your best option. I personally like it to extend an inch so I can add a gutter. Others suggest 2 inches, which is good too. I would think four inches would be the max if you want it to go as far out as possible.

A metal cutting blade on a circular saw works good. I have one for my cordless saw that I've used to cut angles on roofs in place. They don't last very long, so sometimes I've used an old carbide wood cutting blade installed backwards. Just remember that it's SUPER loud and you get a lot of sparks and debris flying around. Long sleeves, good eye protection and ear plugs.

/ Metal roof for the Woodshed #2: How much overhang is too much? #10  
Another concern is if you ever have to get on the roof, or lean a ladder against that unsupported edge....the metal alone wont hold. IT will likely buckle.

Only two real options I see.
1. Add a 2x4 to build an "overhang jack". Menards sells overhang jacks, as their polebarn trusses come without overhangs. So if one wants overhangs.....they buy overhang jacks. Which is basically what I think airbiscuit was describing.
2. Cut it back.

I'd prefer to add the jack. Cutting it will leave an edge that is unpainted and unprotected.

No building codes to follow I assume? or is this thing gonna have to be inspected? If inspected, the choice of fasteners you used in all the tie plates is gonna be a huge red flag.