experience with precast (concrete) construction?

/ experience with precast (concrete) construction? #1  

disney

Gold Member
Tractor
scag turf tiger 61" #2, gx95, sold f525 twice, f725 sold
Looking at building (ok having someone else build) a garage/workshop, and was interested in TBN'ers knowledge of this possible choice. Being in FL wind strength is very important, as is something that termites find unappealing. Block construction with injected insulation is also a possibility.

Superior Wall by Weaver Precast of Florida Products : Overview

As always, thanks for any shared advice

/ experience with precast (concrete) construction? #2  
It looks interesting but sounds like it might be expensive with all the special handling needed. Is it?

/ experience with precast (concrete) construction? #3  
I have seen a couple garages done here with poured concrete walls , just like a basement foundation . One the guy used dyed concrete . They went up pretty quick

/ experience with precast (concrete) construction? #4  
This is very common on warehouses and commercial buildings that do not want to be metal buildings. A lot of CVS and Walgreens are built this way. Or at least the ones I've seen being built are. Back in CA, where I'm from, just about every warehouse was built this way. They set out the forms on the slab, pour, then lift them into place the next day. It goes very quickly. Knowing that these where built for CA earthquake code makes be believe it to be a very strong way of building. I can't say about cost, but as a builder, I've never found anything better or more cost effective then standard stick framing.

/ experience with precast (concrete) construction? #5  
Don't lift them the next day if trying this yourself. My father witnessed three men die under them when the hooks pulled out. You need to know what you're doing.

/ experience with precast (concrete) construction?
It looks interesting but sounds like it might be expensive with all the special handling needed. Is it?

As with most things that can depend on several factors, but it can be roughly equal in total cost. The installed wall costs more than just block, but since it's already insulated and framed for electrical and drywall you recover the higher wall cost in time and material savings.

When the walls are poured on the floor and then raised they have no insulation, and not what I am after.

After spending some time on the phone, I learned the Orlando plant has closed, and currently no company services FL, so I guess it will have to be block:(

/ experience with precast (concrete) construction? #7  
Tne one wall of my shed is cast concrete,,, I needed a retaining wall to hold the dirt.
The wall is over 60 feet long, and 4 feet high.

A guy gave me his old forms, they were perfect, but, old, that was their last use.
A friend and I set the forms in one day, poured the next, removed the forms the next.

We used a LOT of old motor oil,,, the forms came off easily!! :thumbsup:

Amazingly,, the cast concrete had a VERY nice surface!!

D7K_0838.jpg

/ experience with precast (concrete) construction? #8  
As with most things that can depend on several factors, but it can be roughly equal in total cost. The installed wall costs more than just block, but since it's already insulated and framed for electrical and drywall you recover the higher wall cost in time and material savings.

When the walls are poured on the floor and then raised they have no insulation, and not what I am after.

After spending some time on the phone, I learned the Orlando plant has closed, and currently no company services FL, so I guess it will have to be block:(

Have you looked at ICF's (insulated concrete forms)? My basement was made this way and it is one of the warmest basements I have been in. We put stucco on the outside and drywall in the inside.

/ experience with precast (concrete) construction? #9  
Have you looked at ICF's (insulated concrete forms)? My basement was made this way and it is one of the warmest basements I have been in. We put stucco on the outside and drywall in the inside.
Hmmm, Florida, high insect load, wonder how ICF's fair?

/ experience with precast (concrete) construction? #10  
I was helping a friend with an HVAC/Plumbing/Electrical business for awhile. We finished up some modular homes, including some two story plus attic, on precast concrete foundations. It's been too long to recall the brand. This was in PA. The precast walls were not all that thick in the "field". Imagine a picture frame where the sides were about the normal eight inches and the field maybe three or four with some foam insulation already in place. I want to say that they were set on tamped stone? Not sure because we were in after the modules were set and the basement floor was already poured. The corners were sealed with some kind of industrial grade caulk and bolted together.

I never heard that any of them failed but it was one of those building conventions that was shall we say different?