VFDs, Phases and voltage. OK, Now I am confused.

/ VFDs, Phases and voltage. OK, Now I am confused. #1  

Industrial Toys

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota R510 Wheel Loader + Cab and backhoe, JD 6200 Open Station, Cushman 6150, 4x4, ten foot 56 hp Kubota diesel hydraulic wing mower, Steiner 430 Diesel Max, Kawasaki Diesel Mule, JD 4x2 Electric Gator
AC tech motor Drives (VFD) MC series.

I have used 220 volt version to run a 220volt 3 phase motor. You put 110/220 in and leave the fourth input free. Derate the control by half, if it's not specifically for this application.

OK. Now I have a 600 volt version. Talked to support, and they say no problem. But here the communication fails. Once again, people substitute phase for transformer tap.

So I am looking for a transformer. 230 Volt (single phase) to What???

Secondary at 600 volt, I will find, but no center tap, and that would be 300 volt, which I think may not be right. And, I won't find.

Secondary at 1200 volt, tapped at 600 volt? That sounds like what you need, but I'm sure that's not right and certainly, I won't find one of those.

Or Secondary of 694 volt, center tapped at 347 volt. I am guessing this might be the one, but also not to be found. (no application)

Help please.

/ VFDs, Phases and voltage. OK, Now I am confused. #2  

I have used 220 volt version to run a 220volt 3 phase motor. You put 110/220 in and leave the fourth input free. Derate the control by half, if it's not specifically for this application.

OK. Now I have a 600 volt version. Talked to support, and they say no problem. But here the communication fails. Once again, people substitute phase for transformer tap.

Secondary at 600 volt, I will find, but no center tap, and that would be 300 volt, which I think may not be right. And, I won't find.

Secondary at 1200 volt, tapped at 600 volt? That sounds like what you need, but I'm sure that's not right and certainly, I won't find one of those.

Or Secondary of 694 volt, center tapped at 347 volt. I am guessing this might be the one, but also not to be found. (no application)

Help please.

At those voltages everything will be three phase. Finding a 220 to 600 volt single phase transformer will be like finding a gold bar in your back yard. Ain't gonna happen ;-)

There are wiring schemes that can use a three phase transformer to boost a single phase input. I've got one that I wired supplying 440V to a VFD /motor combination. But I would not be qualified to advise you on a similar set up at 600V

/ VFDs, Phases and voltage. OK, Now I am confused.
I'm guessing 220 to 600 would be easy to find, in that the opposite is common. They tap off one phase of 600 to feed a normal 110/220 dist panel. Just use it the other way around.

/ VFDs, Phases and voltage. OK, Now I am confused. #4  

Dont use "110/220" here. It just gets confusing. All you need to say is you have a 220v 3-ph drive, and use it as a phase converter hooked to 220v single phase. Again, dont mention 110, 120, 115, etc as it just gets confusing. Not sure what you mean about leaving the 4th input free. The drive should have L1, L2, L3. Typically you can put any two for single phase operation, but read the book. Some MFG's will specify which two to use.

Help please.

It would help to know the exact specs of the drive. But if its a 600v 3-ph drive........it is looking for 600v between the phases. (which would be about ~345v phase to ground)

Dont know what transformers are avaliable. I am only used to working with 240/480 stuff and 12v 24v stuff. But I am thinking you need a transformer labeled as a 220/240 to 600v single phase. That will give you 600v out between the legs......use the drive as a converter.

But.....what are you needing 600v for? 600v is alot more uncommon. At least around here. Different classification, regulations, precautions, and tools required when working 600v+. Thus most industrial stuff stops at 480v.

That doesn't help the confusion that you guys run 480, we run 575 which we call 600.

600 volt 3 phase shop equipment is readily available. I converted a friends 2 HP lathe that had been 600 originally, and had been converted to 220, back to 220 3phase via VFD. My friend likes the variable speed option.

Now he wants to do his Mill. Put the original 600 volt 3 phase motor back on and use a 600 volt 5HP AC Tech VFD I got at an auction cheap.

/ VFDs, Phases and voltage. OK, Now I am confused. #6  
That doesn't help the confusion that you guys run 480, we run 575 which we call 600.

600 volt 3 phase shop equipment is readily available. I converted a friends 2 HP lathe that had been 600 originally, and had been converted to 220, back to 230 3phase via VFD. My friend likes the variable speed option.

Now he wants to do his Mill. Put the original 600 volt 3 phase motor back on and use a 600 volt 5HP AC Tech VFD I got at an auction cheap.

So you actually need 675 right. And the VFD you have is a 675 VFD.....so needs 675 single phase input?

Assuming your residential power is the same as ours down here? 120v/240v split-phase?

Yes, we have 110/220 or 120/240 whatever. But I don't call a tap on a transformer a phase. Or the three terminals split phase. Everything coming off that transformer is on the same one phase. No?

In fact (or I think) the only way to transform three phase power is with three separate transformers. They may be in the same enclosure, but they are separate.

/ VFDs, Phases and voltage. OK, Now I am confused. #8  
Typical 3ph dry transformers do have three windings, but on a shared core. There is "direction" to keep track of if trying to use one in a single phase application. Also, The 600V VFD may accept single phase input, but it will certainly work best on three phase in with 3 phase out. I assume your shop is limited to 240V single phase or you wouldn't need to ask about the options. Just a point of clarity.

/ VFDs, Phases and voltage. OK, Now I am confused. #9  
Yes, we have 110/220 or 120/240 whatever. But I don't call a tap on a transformer a phase. Or the three terminals split phase. Everything coming off that transformer is on the same one phase. No?

In fact (or I think) the only way to transform three phase power is with three separate transformers. They may be in the same enclosure, but they are separate.

Correct, 120/240 comes from a single phase. Better term is legs.

A typical 120/240 xfmf has 3 wires. 2 legs and a neutral. Leg to leg is 240. Either leg to neutral is 120. So the single phase is "split" to two equal legs....180 degrees apart.thus called split phase, and why start capacitors are required. Because two equal legs, 180 apart....the motor don't know which way to run without the caps.

These two equal legs, can have voltage boosted through a xfmr to an appropriate level, and used to power two phases of a vfd. The vfd uses circuity to create a third leg of power, and balance them all out at 120 degrees apart

/ VFDs, Phases and voltage. OK, Now I am confused. #10  
I'm sure that finding a 600/240 single phase transformer on that side of the lake is much easier than it would be over here. Once you find a transformer you simply wire the 240 side (probably referred to as the secondary) to your power and the 600 volt side (probably referred to as the primary) to two of the input terminals your VFD. Then wire up your 600 molt motor to the three output terminals of your VFD. As long as you do not exceed the current rating of the transformer, all the rest will magically work. I do it all the time here using a 440/220 transformer to create 3 phase 460 for testing controls.