Hard wiring home network

/ Hard wiring home network #21  
You can't crawl in a scissors truss at all.

Depends on the scissors truss. A big one will have some room where crawling is possible (and painful). Down towards the end it gets too cramped. That's what the fish poles are for.

I think I need a picture of the roofline. I'm not getting it. In my inlaws house, everywhere where there is vaulted ceilings, there is no attic space. You can't go from one side of the house to the other.

I'll bet there's more space up there than you think. Check the slope of the roof and the slope of the ceiling. I think you'll find it's significantly different.

/ Hard wiring home network #22  
Front to back or left to right it's over a 30' span according to the drawing. That should leave some space based on scale.

/ Hard wiring home network #23  
There is no reason at all to use CAT3 or 5. We are not living in the 20th century anymore. This isn't going to be easy; he should put in the best available, and the price difference just isn't that much for a project this size.

Lets try that again - plenty of space to pull 1-3 cables. 5e is pretty much all that you commonly find in most stores these days, but I just shorthanded it to Cat5. You can easily enough find cat6, but there is limited reason for using it. The specs are so tight on the terminations to keep the rating that it is a PITA to do. 5e will be useful and around for many, many years...

/ Hard wiring home network #24  
I'd have been done with it in 2-3 hours by now going the molding route.

/ Hard wiring home network #25  
Buy some gray plastic electric conduit at Lowes.. push the Cat 5 through each section before you put them together. After you have it fished through all of the sections you will need, put them up in your attick and glue and put them together one section at at time as you push them across your trusses.

I didn't read all the posts so someone may have already mentioned it.

Put an extra string in the conduit in case you have any future wire pulls. You can use it to pull it through.

Shop CANTEX Non-Metallic PVC 1-ft Conduit (Common: 1-in; Actual: 1-In) at Lowes.com

/ Hard wiring home network #26  
I run wireless alot and have no problem running it a 1/4 of a mile. So I don't understand why you can't get it to work. What router and A,B,G,N,AC band are you running?

/ Hard wiring home network #27  
Maybe I missed it but have you tried Powerline Networking?
Real simple, uses the house wiring as the network hardline.

/ Hard wiring home network #28  
Don't overlook running the wire on the outside of the home. Sometimes that is the best option when there are other issues. Depending on your siding/trim/soffit type, it can be easy to hide along the wall. Heck, bury it next to the slab if you want to. Just use outdoor-rated cat5e cable either way.

As for how to go through the wall, there are a lot of options, some less disruptive than others. You probably already have a convenient path "out" of the wall in the laundry room where the broadband cable comes into the home.

+1. I rented a home recently while my new home was being built (Cat 6 Ethernet with all cabling for everything terminating in a closet upstairs with fiber to the house :)) and it was an old house that had all Ethernet ran on the outside of the house close to the foundation and entering each room individually. It can be made to look nice and unobtrusive. Might be the easiest to install and maintain in your circumstances.