DUST CONTROL

/ DUST CONTROL
Thanks for all the great ideas, keep them coming. The road behind my house only serves the two residences who use it, I don't use the road because it leads no where except to their houses but half of it does run through my land as an easement because years ago they could not put the road in the correct place because of the hill. A year ago I approached them with the dust problem and explained to them that there are products to put down for dust control and they were nice and said they would take care of it, one day the neighbor had trucks of crushed asphalt brought in and graded the road, he owns a tractor and did it himself, before he graded the road it was so washboard but that did not slow anybody down especially the UPS driver who drives like a maniac, so the sound of vehicles pounding on a washboard road resonates right through my house where I live and creates another problem. The crushed asphalt did very little for dust control only made them drive faster. One neighbor is a x cop and the other is an attorney. The second time I approach the attorney is when he told me that the prevailing winds blow all the dust back to his house and he doubts I'm getting dusted out, lol. We get very little wind out here and gravity out rules any wind we do get. So here is a little more info, great ideas from all of you keep them coming. :)

/ DUST CONTROL #22  
My guess the reason they say the dust is not a problem, is it makes it easier for them to argue nothing needed to fix it, thus no expense to them.

Cut some "ditches" at a 60 deg. angle across the entire road every 100' or so "to drain water off the road". Only have to be 3" deep. That will cause them to slow down and think.

/ DUST CONTROL #23  
The way to solve anything is with a discussion with the parties involved. If it's awkward or you are reluctant to do it in person, a pleasant phone call will suffice in most every situation. That works best for me. Reasonable people usually make reasonable decisions if you present the argument in a way they understand. In a common shared road, one day the shoe will be on the other foot and if you can pleasantly and in a non-threatening manner mention or imply it, do it.

Just discuss, lay out a pleasant and non-refutable argument and see what happens. It's not worse than hat you have now.

/ DUST CONTROL
Driving slow does not completely stop the dust, for instance the trash man drives a huge commercial vehicle and when he drives slow the big engine and big truck suck the loose dust up with big clouds, so I'm not looking to alter the road for cars to slow down I'm looking to control the dust no matter what speed someone drives. I am also not looking to get into a Hatfields and McCoy's kind of battle with these two neighbors because I don't have the money for attorney fees or costly legal litigation for them claiming I damaged their vehicles or stopped their path to their house. I'm looking for a semi permanent solution for dust control.

/ DUST CONTROL #25  
Seems you have to convince them to help you, treat them nice, just keep asking them how to reduce the dust problem. I was thinking perhaps a land plane to maintain and keep pulling the gravel and asphalt to the top.. You might be able to do something on the part that is through your property, but be careful of pissing off the attorney... they can make things miserable with little effort on their part.

/ DUST CONTROL #26  
Just ask the neighbor if he has any idea on how to control dust? Asking for their input and not implying a course of action goes a long way.

/ DUST CONTROL #27  
It doesn't sound like the neighbors are going to help with the expence, so you have two choices. I wouldn't recommend living with it, so that leaves pay for it yourself. That's what I do. I have tried the calcium products and a product called Lignin Sulfonate, which is commonly called tree sap. They all work equally well and all need to be sprayed twice a year in Iowa. The amount of traffic and rain defines how long it will last.

Here is a little bit about "tree sap", if you don't want to use salt.

EnviRoad(R), LLC| Lignin Sulfonate

/ DUST CONTROL
Ok, just got off the phone with the guy who sells the product Dust-off, he said it's a product you need to spray once a year and it works on the same principal as calcium chloride where it pulls the moisture out of the air but it's water soluble and non corrosive. He said i would need about 500 gallons at $1.07 per gallon and he would rent me his spray rig for $135. A day for a total of $665.00 per year. He said you need to spray water down first then apply the product. He talked to me about oil and chip seal but said because you have such a small road that your best to find a crew that is doing a big road near you because the cost of coming out would be expensive. Thank you everybody for ideas, very helpful.

/ DUST CONTROL #29  
Yes chip seal was another option as a crew was in our area at one point. Big crew and lots of equipment. Cash at the end of the day maybe.::..but then it's last minute and the neighbors can't drive on it for 12-24hrs. Funny how similar the stories are! Glad it was a reduction in cost. Too bad it's still $700/yr to keep the dust down. I'll post a google earth photo of the dirt road over the river that uses the product. You will have a hard time finding where the dirt starts and asphalt ends- hint it's asphalt on both ends!

/ DUST CONTROL #30  
IMG_0855.JPG

This is after several years- don't expect that after the first application.