How do I fix this?

/ How do I fix this? #1  

Laminarman

Gold Member
Tractor
TC40DA
I have this road going uphill about 100 yards with water (lots of water) running down, especially this time of year. Short of digging a diversion ditch, is there a way to firm it up with stone? How about large rock (what is "large"?) and pack it, then cover it with smaller stuff. I don't mind the water, it's the mud that is the problem. Some of the tire tracks are nearly a foot deep, and going downhill in a TC40, tipping steeply with a front tire down low, and sliiiiding is not fun at all (can you say "PUCKER"?).

The only way to divert the water is to what will eventually be my backyard and patio so I want to avoid that.

Attachments

• 421615-Rutted Road.jpg
    421615-Rutted Road.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 1,076
   / How do I fix this? #2  
As steep as it appears, the only solution may be to run it diagonally across the slope. If you did that you could divert the flow better.

/ How do I fix this?
You mean run the diversion ditch or road diagonally to the right in the photo? That would put the water solidly into my back yard and give my kids a hell of an obstacle when they're toboganning in the winter. The house is not built yet by the way. Planning stages now. Water, water everywhere.

/ How do I fix this? #4  
I was speaking of the road. Can you angle the road, bottom left to top right?

/ How do I fix this? #5  
Haven't you ever heard of mud season? Your not supposed to stray into the woods during that time. Large rocks will float to the top if you live in a freeze zone. That would really bite. You could make a road out of that strip by putting in tons of 1"-1 1/2 stone. It will sink in and harden that area up like a rock. I do mean tons when I say tons. My in laws old driveway was like that every spring. I brought in a 15 yard load of 3/4" stone to cure the problem. Now it is firm and I can plow it much easier.

/ How do I fix this?
That line of trees to the right separates what will be the immediate back yard from the "upper back yard". So angling the road up to the right will make the road bisect the coveted tobogan/sliding zone. Also, it won't look so pretty looking at my nasty road when I sit on the back patio. I'd rather look at my nasty overgrown grass. Thanks for your help. I'll look into stone. It can't be that expensive (can it??)

/ How do I fix this? #7  
</font><font color="blueclass=small">( I'll look into stone. It can't be that expensive (can it??) )</font>

Crushed stone here is $14.00 a yard plus delivery. Regular gravel stones would be much cheaper I think. I use crushed in the driveway. It doesn't move at all like round rocks.

/ How do I fix this?
I'd rather use crushed. Do you mean $14 per cubic yard?

/ How do I fix this? #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I'd rather use crushed. Do you mean $14 per cubic yard? )</font>

Yes

/ How do I fix this? #10  
Limestone base rock, same as crush stone, goes for $10 to 14.50 a yard delivered hear in East Texas. Depends on who you talk to and the mood they are in plus the price of diesel.

I can't tell alot from you picture, but it's been my experience that no amount of stone will keep a road dry until you address the water issue first.

Dig drainage ditches and install culverts. Lowes has 12 inch by 20 foot plastic culverts for around $100. Depending on the volume you're dealing with, you could go 15 inch, 18 inch or 2 feet for just a little more per increment.

Good luck,
Eddie