Anyone experienced with plastic welding (repairs)?

/ Anyone experienced with plastic welding (repairs)? #1  

mjw357

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B3200
Trash day, one of my cans has big crack. These are Toter cans, heavy PE not cheapies. Harbor Freight sells a welder for under $50, thought it might be fun to play around with.
Anyone try anything like this?

/ Anyone experienced with plastic welding (repairs)? #2  
Trash day, one of my cans has big crack. These are Toter cans, heavy PE not cheapies. Harbor Freight sells a welder for under $50, thought it might be fun to play around with.
Anyone try anything like this?

I have done some with a soldering gun and plastic scraps.. It requires some practice.. But then again what welding process doesn't. Be sure to have adequate ventilation and keep your head out of the smoke plume..

/ Anyone experienced with plastic welding (repairs)? #3  
My wife poked a hole in the gas tank on one of my Gravely zero turn mowers, I bought one of those cheap plastic welding kits from Harbor Freight and repaired the hole and it has never leaked a drop, so it is doable, have at it.

/ Anyone experienced with plastic welding (repairs)? #4  
They work good though it takes a lot of practice to make good looking beads. I repaired the gray water tanks on my 40' motor home in the overhead position. Heat control and fusion before total melt is the key.

Ron

/ Anyone experienced with plastic welding (repairs)? #5  
It's essential to use the correct plastic welding rods. By that, I mean the same material.

/ Anyone experienced with plastic welding (repairs)? #6  
I have a small soldering iron with a plastic welding tip on it. I'm on my third roll of plastic "wire".

I try to grind the crack out just about all the way through with a small angle grinder or a die grinder and then fill the crack back up with melted plastic. You need to go slow and make sure the new plastic melts into the old. If I'm welding thicker plastic I'll preheat with a small propane torch just to get everything up to temperature faster.

/ Anyone experienced with plastic welding (repairs)? #7  
It's essential to use the correct plastic welding rods. By that, I mean the same material.

Roger that. I learned that the hard way.