Roots in the septic tank

/ Roots in the septic tank #21  
Skip my comment about daylighting the far end of the leach lines. The black domes are known as infiltrators. I'd add a t-post next to the D-box so you can find it very easily next time. If you can expose the D-box without a machine it will tell you if the moisture is your septic or another source. As long as the outlet (inlet should have it too) of the tank has a T with about 12-18" of pipe facing down on it you shouldn't have any solids leaving the tank.....and therefore nothing should be plugged.

Check for a PM

/ Roots in the septic tank #22  
I assume this was OUTSIDE the tank?.................
Yes, it is a separate pipe laid parallel to the edge of the drain field at the drip line of the tree.

Does the CS get poured in full strength or diluted? How much does it take?
I don't know, as it was just installed. The pipe is sloped away from the access plug, so you could probably pour in granules and it would leach along the length of the pipe or dissolve it and pour it in.

/ Roots in the septic tank
Well, unfortunately, a regular pass with any kind of machine won't really work. Here's a pic from my back yard. The tank (to the right of the dirt pile) sits right in a drainage swale created after we finished the house. I didn't realize at the time exactly where the tank was, unfortunately. To the right is our decomposed granite driveway. About 35-40 ft to the right is a twin trunk eucalyptus tree. I suspect that is the root culprit, but not sure.

Septic%20flood2_zpswlrr7kyt.jpg

This is a shot from farther up the back patio. This was taken during our last rain, and you can see where the water runs through the swale.

Parking%20spot_zpsfysdgat1.jpg

Here is a closer look at the top of the tank. This has been sitting for 2 days now, AFTER it was pumped. So, as you can see, there is little question of there the ground is saturated.

Septic%20flood1_zpspaqhykrq.jpg

Even if it wasn't where it is, with my luck I would rip up the PVC lines, somehow.

Travelover

Thanks, that will be one of the possibilities I will have to consider.

RNeumann

I figured you'd say something like that, once you saw the system. :) No real way to scope it either. There are T fittings at each end, inside the tank, and a T cleanout about a foot from the tank, outside. I don't believe there is solids in the leech line. I watched him pump and it looked very fluid on top, and the sludge was only about 12-18" deep. That's a guess, I wasn't about the measure it. :eek: What is not in the system picture, is there was a second line to the left of the one shown (facing from leech line to tank).

Good idea about a marker by the D-box. It will have to be something else, cause a T post would get in my way, but I will mark it. I also plan on adding extensions and a steel lid to the cleanouts on the tank. That way I can drive over them, but not have to dig up every time it needs pumped. This was our first pump in 7 years. Had I done it sooner, I might have caught the roots before they got too bad.

Well the driveway looks NOTHING like the last picture. My neighbor stopped by to see what I was up to, and when I explained he went back and got his backhoe and we proceeded to dig away. I thought I was going to wait till the rain was over, but we got a LOT done. That, in spite of the fact that one hydraulic line blew, and he got the backhoe stuck in the field (long story), but after some work, got it out.

We dug about 4ft down on the one side, and the hole was filling with ground water almost as fast as the bucket would remove it. We then dug a trench down to my creek and MOST of this ground water is draining down to the creek. Some is still coming in the 4" inlet line where the roots were, and at the discharge as well.

We pulled roots from against the tanks 5-6" in diameter. It is unreal how many were getting in there, from all 4 sides. Right now we are looking at the prospect of lifting the lid off the tank, and applying something to seal it.

Can the lids be pulled off these tanks without breaking them? The roots are out of control, Most all have been cut, the rest will be, but they are still going under the tank lid. I am COMPLETELY convinced, if we had waited another year or two, they would have lifted the lid off the tank.

Tomorrow, I will work on the drain (later to become a french drain) to try to get the rest of the water out. It currently levels out about 4-5" below the tank lid, but is still above the inlet and discharge pipes. No way to reseal those until they are dry.

Oh yes, still have not gotten to the D-box yet, and have a better idea where it's located. Bad news, is I THINK it might be right under a pile of unsplit oak logs. :(

/ Roots in the septic tank #27  
When I had my septic tank pumped I dug up the lid and it had a rebar U in the top to lift it from. I pulled it off with my tractor loader. The pumper guy said I was lucky it didn't break. He said get 2 guys and a rubber hammer. Have one guy pull up on it and have the second guy start hitting it with the rubber hammer and they'll usually pop loose.

/ Roots in the septic tank #28  
Yes the top of the tank can be removed and replaced. They had issues in your area with the tops failing. It's probably not going to just lift off but it was cast as a different piece. Sealing from the outside would be a better option though. Between urethane caulking and some Henrys followed by a root deterrent you should be good.

Verify you have the proper "T" on your tank outlet.

/ Roots in the septic tank #29  
I wonder if using a water softener is enough to deter tree roots??

Many around here dump the water softener discharge right into the septic.

That would be some salt,,,

/ Roots in the septic tank #30  
Now days the brine discharge doesn't do much. I was doing a job a few months back and the homeowner daylighted his discharge in the yard- it just made the brown grass green. I know that used to be the case- you would discharge the brine and it would kill plants.