Roots in the septic tank

/ Roots in the septic tank #1  

handirifle

Veteran Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1010
Just had our tank pumped for the first time since building in 2010. Probably could have gone longer, but a number of things started working against us. First there are tree roots growing through, where the PVC lines enter the tank. There also appears to be some actually coming through where the main tank cap (not the removable clean out caps) seals against the tank sides.

At the entry to the primary tank we cut 2 roots about 1 1/4" thick. Those roots are also allowing some water to seep, not so slowly, back into the tank. It seeps cause the ground is saturated here. Everything is on a slope downhill from the tank, but even after pumping, about a 1/4" stream was coming back in through the 4" line that exits the secondary tank. We live kinda in the bottom of a bowl, and hydraulic pressure causes water to seep to the surface in quite a few areas.

Not a LOT I can do about it coming back from the leech lines, except a backflow valve in that line.

I know I need to dig out around the entry line to the tank, and cut away those roots, and most likely remove them around the PVC and reseal that area. We just came off a 5 yr drought, so the trees have been going crazy for water sources.

The line exits the secondary tank (concrete tank) then about 25-30ft to a distribution tank (also concrete) then to 2, 100ft leech lines that were at least 4ft deep.

I may have to rent small excavator to clear around the tank, but are there any suggestions to TRY and keep the roots from coming back?

/ Roots in the septic tank #2  
I had a drain field put in once and the old timer dug around my tank and poured salt around it. The tank is 10-15 ft from a huge live oak. Still using that system for my washing machine and it hasn't been opened back up since 88.

/ Roots in the septic tank #3  
I had a drain field put in once and the old timer dug around my tank and poured salt around it. The tank is 10-15 ft from a huge live oak. Still using that system for my washing machine and it hasn't been opened back up since 88.

If you have water flowing INTO the tank from the distribution lines, your concern for the presence of tree roots is wasted attention.

A "system" can not function in a flooded condition. Seek professional help !

/ Roots in the septic tank
JD855

How much salt did he use?

CalG

It WAS a professional that pumped it. They also install and service systems. As I explained the distribution line can most likely be solved by a backwater valve ( I may have called it backflow valve) at his suggestion. But the water seeping in from where the roots come in is what I want to solve as well. I realize the backwater valve COULD close off the flow out of the tank, IF the water is filling up the distribution line, but at least I will not have water coming in from openings that should NOT be openings.

I can do what they suggest, but I cannot prevent the excess water. My house and property is in a kinda of bowl and underground hydraulic pressure causes a lot of water to come to the surface in various places. NOTHING can be done about this. Any excavation near the leech lines would only loosen the dirt and cause it to seep more.

He mentioned there might be roots in the dist tank as well, but I do not know that as yet. I need to dig it up to tell. Other than that their is a POSSIBILITY that engineered leech lines that went vertical to about 30ft MIGHT do something, but I am nowhere near that point yet. We have had a deluge of rain these past few weeks and it's simply a matter of too much water, too quickly. They see it all the time in this area.

I have a huge eucalyptus tree about 40-50ft from my tank, and I think it might be the root source, but can't tell until I dig around the tank, so see where they are coming from.

/ Roots in the septic tank #6  
I have a huge eucalyptus tree about 40-50ft from my tank, and I think it might be the root source, but can't tell until I dig around the tank, so see where they are coming from.

Any chance you could use a trencher,, rather than a wide bucket?
If you could dig a nice trench,, you could pour concrete,, a wall might work,,,

Personally, I would be afraid to use a trencher that close to my tank. I have used them before, when we built, and they can be hard to control if something shifts. I'd be afraid of it grabbing the tank. With an excavator I could ease it along until I found the sides, and then I think I can dig a trench about a foot below the cap seal and apply what ever method to seal I decide on. Concrete does sound like a real possible solution.

If I excavate, I could build form for the concrete, about 4-6" from the sides so it would use less concrete that way. I could rent one of those 1/2yd towable buckets and save that way too.

Do they make wood pressure treated with something similar to Roundup? Maybe I could put that against the sides of the tank?

/ Roots in the septic tank #9  
Second the rock salt. We used to do that when we were trying to "fix" a section of orangeburg pipe with fernco couplings. How much? I'd say about a 3"x3" swath around the joint between the lid and side walls and the same around the inlet and outlet pipes.
Depending on tank size I'd say 3-5 bags.

/ Roots in the septic tank #10  
I used to replace condo driveways that were badly cracked or settled. Any that had been damaged by tree roots had a piece of aluminum flashing (about 12" or 16") installed vertically in the ground to prevent more roots from growing under the new concrete. Seemed to work.