Who do you buy a pole barn or metal barn kit from ?

/ Who do you buy a pole barn or metal barn kit from ? #1  

747driver

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti CK27 HST
Hello everyone. In the early stages of planning a 40x60 barn. Live in the mountains of SE Tenn. Is it best to just buy a kit from a company and then build it yourself or have them construct it ? I am capable of building it myself but will take a bit longer. I need to have a door opening big enough ( 14x14 ) so we can drive the motorhome in. Also a 10x10 door for the tractor. If i go the pole barn method i want to construct concrete piers and install 6x6 anchors to attach the poles....that way you don't have to dig holes. I would concrete in a floor slab later. Anyone heard or know someone who has had a National Barn built ? Also looking at Ameristeelbuilt metal barns ?

Thanks for any info

Chuck

/ Who do you buy a pole barn or metal barn kit from ? #2  
I went with red iron. Got it all from local supplier, Memphis Metal Building. Told them what I wanted, they designed it and provided drawings. Gave those to my concrete guy and had the slab poured. My brothers and I put the steel up and my wife and I put the insulation and siding on. It was fairly easy to put up, just took time. Probably saved 2-3K on the install.

14x14 is the right size for the end door. I put a 12x14 and it is too short for RV, which I didn't have or know I would have at the time. You should be able to get 14' eaves. I put a roll up door 12'x14' in the center bay side wall too.

/ Who do you buy a pole barn or metal barn kit from ? #3  
Great advise. Most companies that sell kits like this are regional. Their is something to be said to having a single company do the concrete and all the construction. However sometimes you can save a bit if you are willing to put some time in. Remember the cost of constructing a steel building is 80-90% materials. So thinking you will save 50% doing a few things yourself isn't realistic.

/ Who do you buy a pole barn or metal barn kit from ? #4  
If you don't want to dig holes you are probably not going to get a traditional pole barn company to build it for you. The poles go in the ground for shear strength. It will require a redesign from standard with more bracing it make it work. It is also harder to build as poles will require extensive bracing as it is built. Whether you have it built or build it yourself depends on what you think your time is worth. Typically they put them up pretty inexpensively because they do it all the time and make quick work of it.

/ Who do you buy a pole barn or metal barn kit from ? #5  
I put up this 40' X 60' X 14' in June 2015. I ordered the building from Hercules Buildings in Jacksonville Fl.
There are a couple building manufactures in Adel Ga. who sell only to retail dealers around the country who put their name on them.
The install crew out of Adel came to my property after assembling a building in Louisiana!
The 3 man crew with a Lull forklift took 7 days BUT had rain about 5 days to deal with.
They did a perfect job! (I know of a building that was put up and it wasn't square, they cut the edges of the roof panels to fit!!)

Attachments

• DSCN0763.JPG
    DSCN0763.JPG
    720.5 KB · Views: 808
  • DSCN0767.JPG
    DSCN0767.JPG
    744 KB · Views: 1,496
  • DSCN0773.JPG
    DSCN0773.JPG
    808.7 KB · Views: 606
  • DSCN0734.JPG
    DSCN0734.JPG
    708.9 KB · Views: 523
   / Who do you buy a pole barn or metal barn kit from ? #6  
BCI Barn Builders, Muskooge, OK. Builds wooden farm structures of all types and your size included with 15' roof extension off the side too (lean to) if you want...I have that and like it. They drop off the materials and have roving crews that do the work. I don't see why they wouldn't contract to you the materials and forget the crew to erect it. Might check and see. They have a wide radius of operation and Muskogee is in the NE corner of OK. Built mine in 2005 and have had zero problems with it. Use 26, not 29 gauge steel and it doesn't leak.

/ Who do you buy a pole barn or metal barn kit from ? #7  
You are going to dig holes for posts or for the concrete piers.

Most pole barns I have dealt with used 29 gauge steel. Around here you can order it through any lumber yard and places like Menard's keep it in stock.

Building pole barns might not look easy but getting them right is difficult for people who do not do them every day. Little details make all the difference is no having leaks.

/ Who do you buy a pole barn or metal barn kit from ? #8  
You could check with Metal Mart in Jonesboro Arkansas.
They do a lot of buildings around here and people seam happy with them.

/ Who do you buy a pole barn or metal barn kit from ?
You are going to dig holes for posts or for the concrete piers.

Most pole barns I have dealt with used 29 gauge steel. Around here you can order it through any lumber yard and places like Menard's keep it in stock.

Building pole barns might not look easy but getting them right is difficult for people who do not do them every day. Little details make all the difference is no having leaks.

I would dig holes for concrete piers. They make special anchors you set in the concrete that you tie the pole to the anchor with bolts. They also make plastic sleeves you can put on the pole if you want to bury them in the ground. I would rather have the poles off the ground.

/ Who do you buy a pole barn or metal barn kit from ? #10  
I bought a 40x60x12 metal truss kit from Reids Metals. It is going up right now and I have been very happy with the quality of materials. They delivered to me out of Jackson, TN.