How low does your lean to go?

/ How low does your lean to go? #1  

joeyd

Platinum Member
Tractor
TYM 353HST
I am thinking about adding a lean to on my barn. The barn eave is 12' high and my roof is a 5/12 pitch. If I continue the pitch at 12 foot wide I would lose 5 feet of height plus the header so I would be around 6 foot at the low side. I spoke with the guys who built my barn and they said it would even be less due to the way you have to attach everything.

So, how low is too low? My ROPS folds so as long as I remember to do that I would be ok. But is 5 1/2 foot too low for function 12 feet from the pole barn? Attached is a picture of the side I want to put it on.

P6130100.JPG

/ How low does your lean to go? #2  
It looks like your tractor will be up next to the barn vs out on the low side anyway so I don't necessarily see that as a problem. Also, there's no reason you couldn't go a little shallower on the lean to, in fact I like that look better. You are already pretty shallow but for functionality and as long as you build it properly there's no harm in a 3 or 4 pitch. You will always find something to store down on the low side under cover vs out in the open.

/ How low does your lean to go? #3  
My shop is 4/12 with 1/12 on the sides. Water runs off just fine. I don't have to worry about snow load in Texas.

100_0921.JPG

/ How low does your lean to go? #4  
I am thinking about adding a lean to on my barn. The barn eave is 12' high and my roof is a 5/12 pitch. If I continue the pitch at 12 foot wide I would lose 5 feet of height plus the header so I would be around 6 foot at the low side. I spoke with the guys who built my barn and they said it would even be less due to the way you have to attach everything.

So, how low is too low? My ROPS folds so as long as I remember to do that I would be ok. But is 5 1/2 foot too low for function 12 feet from the pole barn? Attached is a picture of the side I want to put it on.

View attachment 497388

You could do the lean to with a 4/12 pitch, and gain about 12" height on your sidewall.
To determine roof framing lumber size required, you need to find out what the 4/12 snow load specs. are in your (Idaho?) area.
A metal roof would likely be best also.

/ How low does your lean to go? #5  
I would go to 3/12 on the lean to. It will look better if the slope change is greater so it will break up the line. And it will allow you to have a normal 8 foot ceiling in the lean to with horizontal ties back to the building. Also, if you want to completely enclose it you can add a normal 7 foot overhead door.

/ How low does your lean to go? #6  
When talking about pitch, and/or snow load, would you cheat a little if a metal roof?

/ How low does your lean to go? #7  
Metal roofs are better for snow loading because they are so much lighter to begin with (dead load) plus the snow will slide off easier. The calculations take the reduced dead load into consideration. For this job, I would look at 3/12 half trusses and compare that with the cost of framing it with conventional rafters and appropriate ties. I think the trusses would be really easy.

/ How low does your lean to go? #8  
Snow won't shed much if you go below 4:12. It'll just melt in place. That's where your could get a little daming and leakage from the seams and slope transition. I know you can go all the way down to 1:12 and have it shed water, but I wouldn't recommend going below 3:12. Even then, I'd use butyl tape on the lap seams to make sure it doesn't leak. Depending on how much drift you get in the valley, you might want to tape up the existing seams as well. I'm only saying this because I see you are in a heavy snow climate. If this was a southern climate I wouldn't be concerned.

Per the picture, I don't think there is enough eave height to use a single pitch truss. I'd stick frame it with some 2x4 purlins @ 24"o/c

/ How low does your lean to go? #9  
I would adjust the pitch to give no less than a 7 foot under roof clearance height at any point. Reduce head knockers as much as possible especially if the lean to will have open sides.
Also varying the pitch on the lean too from the main roof looks much better that a continuation of the 5/12 slope. Of course if you get several feet of snow load and you don't design the support structure enough to hold it, you may have to physically remove some of the snow if your pitch is too flat. Before I would put up with less than a 7 foot clearance, I would maybe look at putting a heated snow/ice removal band on the roof.
Here in Arkansas we don't worry about such little things.

/ How low does your lean to go?
Thanks for the input. It already has a metal roof rated at 80# snow load. I might be able to change to a 4/12 pitch, I will have to check with the county on their specs for that snow load on a 4/12.