Best crop for SANDY soil food plot

/ Best crop for SANDY soil food plot #1  

fried1765

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, 8N Ford, Gravely 12 HP "Professional", 48" SCAG Liberty
I would like to have some ideas for food plot seed varieties for very sandy soil in Southern New England.
The soil is thin sandy loam on the surface, and pure sand 16" below.
I would like to plant a 2+ acre food plot, with a crop that will produce a developed seed head, not be over 2 feet tall at maturity, is as weed tolerant as possible, and will mature in September/October.
The lack of moisture is an issue. There will be some rain, but because of the very sandy soil, moisture retention is very poor.
Weeds, wild grass, vines, and bushes, do seem to grow well enough though.
I am thinking maybe buckwheat,.... but I don't know.
Am looking for other ideas.

/ Best crop for SANDY soil food plot #2  
Why no just put in clover? It'll grow well and if you mow it once or twice a year weeds won't take over, plus it comes up year after year. Deer love it around here.

/ Best crop for SANDY soil food plot
Why no just put in clover? It'll grow well and if you mow it once or twice a year weeds won't take over, plus it comes up year after year. Deer love it around here.

I am sure the deer will love clover, but the deer can find plenty of other stuff around my area.
I need to find a grain/seed sort of crop that pheasant, quail, and turkey will eat.

/ Best crop for SANDY soil food plot #4  
Consider contacting the extension service in that area and ask if Millet will do well enough there. It is grown in some harsh conditions world wide but it may not meet your height consideration of 2 feet or less. Sparsely seeded may help overcome being a little too tall. Quail love it.

/ Best crop for SANDY soil food plot #5  
RYE ...

Consider contacting the extension service in that area and ask if Millet will do well enough there. It is grown in some harsh conditions world wide but it may not meet your height consideration of 2 feet or less. Sparsely seeded may help overcome being a little too tall. Quail love it.

Millet seed information that I have seen describes the height potential as 3' - 8'
I could live with 3' or 4' , but not 8'.

/ Best crop for SANDY soil food plot #7  
After maturity maybe roto beating ( flail mowing ) to a desired height would be a solution. Wildlife would still be in there for the seed and you could walk it.

After maturity maybe roto beating ( flail mowing ) to a desired height would be a solution. Wildlife would still be in there for the seed and you could walk it.

Flail mowing is a thought, but ..... I do not have a flail mower,..... and I really would prefer to leave the crop standing.

For seed, I suppose I could dump it in my cement mixer, and make a rye/millett mix, maybe throw in some buckwheat too.
Then, just hope that something would grow!

A lot will depend on summer rain interval. That very sandy topsoil gets dry quickly.

/ Best crop for SANDY soil food plot #9  
Our local Pheasants forever chapter has seed mix for different soil types.

Our local Pheasants forever chapter has seed mix for different soil types.

Where would that "local Pheasants forever chapter" be?