Steel roof leaking

/ Steel roof leaking #1  

mcgoo

Bronze Member
Tractor
Cat 301.8C
Having a problem with my existing metal building. It's slab on grade with concrete block knee walls and stick frame interior with metal siding and roof. The area with the large drive up door is my warehouse. Where the small roll up door is is where my tractor goes and the man door is a fireplace showroom. I have Heating in all 3 but only use it in the tractor area and showroom. The warehouse area needs to be insulated. Problem is I have roof leaks at the metal seams on the tin roof. It's wrecking the ceiling in my showroom and I don't want to proceed with insulating the warehouse area until I solve this issue. What are my options for fixing the leak? I have a friend that does metal roofing he tells me the only way is to pull the tin off the roof put down sheathing and ice sheild and put the tin back down. Right now it's just the tin screw-down to the cross bracing 20170221_092332.jpg . Does anyone out there have any experience with this type of situation or any other ideas?

ATTACH]499528[/ATTACH]20170221_081620.jpg20170221_081634.jpg

Attachments

• 20170221_081442.jpg
    20170221_081442.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 920
   / Steel roof leaking #2  
I hope SOMEONE has a solution. My tin roof leaks too and I've changed screws to larger think of maybe getting a tighter seal. Nope. Used calking around the. Nope. I actually have no idea where the water gets in because it travels. There's a company here claiming they can spray the whole thing with expanding foam. Thereby adding insulation. Probably would work but for how long and then what? More. At some point it will make the roof to heavy I'd think. So what's the solution? Watching thread closely.

/ Steel roof leaking #3  
Condensation??
Spray foam is light. Not a weight problem

/ Steel roof leaking #4  
Yea, make 100% sure it's not condensation as opposed to an actual leak in the tin.

The guy suggesting the spray foam is probably thinking the roof is condescending and spay foam will fix that problem A leak in the tin will need probably it ripped off, osb laid down, underlyment, then tin back on.

/ Steel roof leaking
Lol I guess my thread just got jacked!

/ Steel roof leaking #6  
Your new at this...I see.

/ Steel roof leaking #8  
Your buddy is right. No way around removing, adding sheathing, ice and water and replace.
Proper insulation will help with the ice dams. Spray foam is an expensive option. I'm sure local insulation contractors will have good and cheaper options.

/ Steel roof leaking #9  
Yep. Am I missing something?

Your looking for a response that fits your logic of the situation. However, I as well as others, know that a bare metal roof on perlins have a 100% tendency to rain condensation inside the barn when the interior is warmer than the exterior of the building. It's not that the roof is leaking, it because your making condensation. Anytime warm air hits a cold metal roof, you have condensation and the suggesting of spray foam will fix that problem 100%.

Get a lot of ideas, then applying them to your situation. Trying to cut off discussion because you don't think that is "your" situation is not the idea of a forum. Yes, their is always going to be some noise in the discussion, but give it time and your solutions will unfold.

/ Steel roof leaking
Your buddy is right. No way around removing, adding sheathing, ice and water and replace.
Proper insulation will help with the ice dams. Spray foam is an expensive option. I'm sure local insulation contractors will have good and cheaper options.
Ok thanks. Spray foam was never in the cards for me. They guy that posted a simliar issue after me was talking about spray foam.