Seeding large bare area questions

/ Seeding large bare area questions #1  

clovergamecock

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L2800 4WD FEL
I used a power rake on my tractor to level and smooth a large area of my yard. I then through new regular fescue seed from tractor supply out.

I don't have a roller so I used my tractor to roll over the entire area to cover/mash the seed into the ground. The soil was not wet so it left no ruts. Is this exceptable???

Do I throw any fertilizer down now or wait till I see grass coming up??

What fertilizer do I use either now or after I see grass coming up???

When to spread lime???

How thick do you cover with straw???

Thicker straw in areas known to wash during hard rain???

Thanks!!!
Wade

/ Seeding large bare area questions #2  
Unless you know the ph of your soil, you are just guessing. I would at least cover with straw to protect against rain impact. It will also decay as the grass starts to come up and feed the microbiology in your soil. Do you have to add anything to the other areas of your yard that did not get raked? I would get a soil sample test to know what it needs....

LNK

/ Seeding large bare area questions #3  
Unless you know the ph of your soil, you are just guessing. I would get a soil sample test to know what it needs....

I would at least cover with straw to protect against rain impact. It will also decay as the grass starts to come up and feed the microbiology in your soil.

After you have the results of a soil test, specifying turf as your objective, and after you amend the soil per soil test, you should not need another soil test for ten years.

I don't have a roller so I used my tractor to roll over the entire area to cover/mash the seed into the ground. The soil was not wet so it left no ruts. Is this acceptable??? YES. Keep the seed continually damp.

Do I throw any fertilizer down now or wait till I see grass coming up??

Optimal to fertilize concurrent with seeding, so fertilizer will move into the soil before seedlings emerge, which are fertilizer/salt burn prone. Once seed germinates fertilize lightly and water lightly every day.

What fertilizer do I use either now or after I see grass coming up???

Probably fairly high nitrogen, along with other amendments PER SOIL TEST.

When to spread lime??? Lime is slow acting, compared to fertilizer. Do not spread lime until you have soil test results.

How thick do you cover with straw??? Thinly. Most lawn seed will not germinate without sunlight. If you lay down straw too thick it will reduce germination.

Thicker straw in areas known to wash during hard rain??? Thin straw after rolling should hold the soil and seed. Fescue germinates pretty fast and will hold the soil in combination with the straw.

/ Seeding large bare area questions #4  
Jeff steered you pretty well. If you can, I'd get enough compost to spread it maybe 1/16 to 1/8 inch over the seed. Then don't fertilize.

If there's a slope anywhere and if any hard rain is coming, you need seed protector mats. Lowes here actually have the best kind. All the others are too heavy and take too long to biodegrade. You secure it after rolling it out with ground staples, or make your own out of old metal clothes hangers.

If you don't mind a non perfert lawn, don't spend your money on the tons of lime likely to take it up to 6.5-7 pH range. Use enough to get it up to around 6. You can get cheap soil kits at Lowes, Home Depot or Southern States. You can even get a soil test done at Southern States. Otherwise, go to your extension office for a soil test kit. The SS or extension results will give you a lot more than just pH. The little soil test kits at Lowes or Home Depot will allow testing of 3 or 4 things. pH is the most important. There are also the probe type testers. Think the accuracy is SS or extension - then soil test kits - then probe. Some extension offices may have probe testers to borrow/rent that are fairly accurate though.