Subsoiler or trencher for utilities install?

/ Subsoiler or trencher for utilities install? #11  
ditch witch ride on trenchers can be had at reasonable prices. They dont hold value

/ Subsoiler or trencher for utilities install? #12  
ditch witch ride on trenchers can be had at reasonable prices. They dont hold value
I looked at a few used ones since the resale is low. Not real sure what to look fir and what maintenance costs might be like. Pretty sure they're all high hour on the secondary market. But if I could buy cheap and use for a year or two abs resell it might work out.

/ Subsoiler or trencher for utilities install? #14  
The ones a guy I know has deutz diesels in his , he was a well driller , motors ran great , backhoe was worn out . needed some new teeth , he let it go for $ 1500

/ Subsoiler or trencher for utilities install? #15  
It's just smart common sense to not run water with power. Running communication cables with power can also cause problems.

Wants to run waterline at frost depth (not below), electric at 12" and network at 6".......I don't think that applies here

/ Subsoiler or trencher for utilities install? #16  
walk along trenchers will dig just as fast as a rider. 840' can easily be done in a four hour rental. The only problem with a walk along is that it doesn't have the fill equipment but you have that anyway. Going 36" deep with a walk along is no issue. I rented a Vermeer one time and it dug like crazy - the only thing it would not dig up was about a 2' square 4" thick chunk of concrete somebody had buried. That being said the used Ditch Witch rider trenchers are very cheap as the commercial world just went to directional boring.

I see no problem with water and data in the same trench but would separate out the power in a different trench.

/ Subsoiler or trencher for utilities install? #17  
I have done quite a bit of this. We run it all in the same trench. Power 36" to top of conduit. Gas 24" , water at 18", on top of gas. Phone/data, a couple inches separation , in conduit. We have no freeze line though. You cannot get a consistent 36" with a 36" machine. You have to go beyond whatever your finish depth is. Especially at intersections. Always easier to knock dirt down than to pull it out of the trench. Trencher will beat a backhoe in speed overall. Much cleaner trench, less dirt to move, easier to backfill. Depending on soil type, rocks. I had 400' of 400 amp power to run, 42" top of conduit. I used a 5' machine. We have zero natural rock. Good luck!

/ Subsoiler or trencher for utilities install? #18  
How did you keep the vertical separation? Fill with shovel to get it level?

/ Subsoiler or trencher for utilities install? #19  
Where it makes sense. When you are going from 42" top of conduit (TOC) to 24" TOC, you just have to use a box blade and do a partial backfill. Use a trenching shovel to smooth it out to your mark. If you do not have a trenching shovel, you need one. I have marks on mine so as I go along I gauge 24" or 36" with the handle. No need to carry a tape. Our power company requires you leave the conduit exposed every 40' or so. 200 amp services they rarely look at it. The sweeps make it where you can't cheat. 400 amp, they look at the whole thing with a tape measure.
With a trencher the name of the game is, always go deeper than you need at any intersections and the ends. Run the trench past T's 6-8'. If your budget is like mine, the trencher won't be there when you are laying pipe. You are trying to minimize digging with a post hole digger or trench shovel. Always easier to push dirt into lows than remove.

/ Subsoiler or trencher for utilities install?
I've seriously considered buying a used trencher and just reselling after the major projects are done. Mostly I don't want another machine to maintain, a breakdown would end up costing more than I'd save and most of all would take too long to get to fixing it. I can rent one for the weekend and get the trenches done. I'm hoping if I have the conduit, wire, and pipe laid out I can get everything trenched, placed, and filled in a weekend. It'll depend on what I hit in the soil and how much help I can get.

Adding a second trench doubles the work. I'm getting confirmation that code allows for vertical separation of water/power/data and if that's the case I'll go as deep as possible and get everything in the same trench. With tracers and doing a quick survey to pick up the exact location and depth of the conduit I'll feel confident digging things back up.