Subsoiler or trencher for utilities install?

/ Subsoiler or trencher for utilities install? #1  

Sun Treader

Tractor
Case IH 495
I've been cleaning up, building, and generally moving into our 'farm' in Western Virginia for a couple of years now and its time to start setting up the utilities.

The only things coming to the site are power and data, water is from the well. There are currently two utility poles, each with transformers with only one in use. My plan is to use one pole with its transformer to bring all power to the site to a power-house adjacent to the pump house and distribute power and network from there to the house site, shed, barns, and anywhere else. There's virtually nothing on the site to reuse so I'm basically starting from scratch here. There will be power, water, and data coming from the power-house/pump-house area and distributing in all directions. The idea here to nix the overhead lines and second transformer. They're just in the way and vulnerable to trees taking them down.

So the question is the best way to trench to get everything underground. Frost depth here is 24" and being lower is better just for piece of mind. If I could get down to 30"-36" I'll feel better.

Three options are to rent a ride on ditch witch trencher, dig with tractor backhoe, or pull with tractor subsoiler.

I have a Case 495, 50+ HP, Cat 2 hitch. Some photos below of a shallow trench between two buildings. That was dug with a 9" bucket on my backhoe. The backhoe would certainly do all of this but it would be very slow going and create much larger trenches than needed.

I can rent a ride on Ditch Witch trencher that could get down to 36." I'm confident this would work but would create a bigger trench than a subsoiler and would cost about $350 for the weekend.

I can purchase a subsoiler that would get down 24" to maybe 30" for about $400 and add the tube placer myself. I'm inclined to go this route since I wouldn't be time limited by owning the attachment and I'd have it available for who knows what later.

Here's the kicker, priority 1 trenching will be about 840' with priority 2 trenches 2600'. That's a lot of trenching. I'll have some help so it won't just be me working on the project but I sort of doubt I can get the Priority 1 stuff done in a weekend rental. But I wouldn't know what the productivity would be until I give it a try. With the rented trencher I could have the backhoe ready to assist as needed. With the subsoiler I'd have to switch implements which takes forever.

With the trencher going down 36" I can lay power and water in the same trench with 12" of cover between them vertically. With the subsoiler I would have to cut twice to get separation horizontally.

So that's the conundrum, any advice or experiences to share?

A fourth option would be to rent a tracked bobcat with a trencher attachment but the expense goes way up needing to rent the machine too.

There's a photo of the triumphant tractor having excavated the site for my new machine shed. Its structural brick around the unbackfilled sides and block where there is backfill.

David

IMG_2763.jpgIMG_8737.jpgIMG_8812.jpg

/ Subsoiler or trencher for utilities install? #2  
I'd personally nix the subsoiler idea. Gonna have a hard time pulling it at full depth. What happens if you snag a root, rock, whatever. With feeding tubing/wire as you go you are pretty well stuck. Cant back up or raise up without alot of caution. And there is no way to tell if kink or damage whatever you are putting in.

Subsoilers are great for burying stuff 12" or less, like communication/data cable, underground dog fence, low voltage lighting, etc. But trying to go 30+" deep, I think you need twice the machine you have and still would have issues. :2cents:

/ Subsoiler or trencher for utilities install? #3  
How bad are rocks around you? Were you planning on direct burial wire for power? (no conduit?)

/ Subsoiler or trencher for utilities install? #4  
I'm with LD1. I don't think a subsoiler can do it. Maybe in Florida with nothing but sand for soil but I'm guessing there are plenty of big rocks in WV.

I'd take the hit on the trencher. I might even consider hiring it out.

Also in most places water and electric in the same trench in a big no no.

/ Subsoiler or trencher for utilities install? #5  
I've been cleaning up, building, and generally moving into our 'farm' in Western Virginia for a couple of years now and its time to start setting up the utilities.

The only things coming to the site are power and data, water is from the well. There are currently two utility poles, each with transformers with only one in use. My plan is to use one pole with its transformer to bring all power to the site to a power-house adjacent to the pump house and distribute power and network from there to the house site, shed, barns, and anywhere else. There's virtually nothing on the site to reuse so I'm basically starting from scratch here. There will be power, water, and data coming from the power-house/pump-house area and distributing in all directions. The idea here to nix the overhead lines and second transformer. They're just in the way and vulnerable to trees taking them down.

So the question is the best way to trench to get everything underground. Frost depth here is 24" and being lower is better just for piece of mind. If I could get down to 30"-36" I'll feel better.

Three options are to rent a ride on ditch witch trencher, dig with tractor backhoe, or pull with tractor subsoiler.

I have a Case 495, 50+ HP, Cat 2 hitch. Some photos below of a shallow trench between two buildings. That was dug with a 9" bucket on my backhoe. The backhoe would certainly do all of this but it would be very slow going and create much larger trenches than needed.

I can rent a ride on Ditch Witch trencher that could get down to 36." I'm confident this would work but would create a bigger trench than a subsoiler and would cost about $350 for the weekend.

I can purchase a subsoiler that would get down 24" to maybe 30" for about $400 and add the tube placer myself. I'm inclined to go this route since I wouldn't be time limited by owning the attachment and I'd have it available for who knows what later.

Here's the kicker, priority 1 trenching will be about 840' with priority 2 trenches 2600'. That's a lot of trenching. I'll have some help so it won't just be me working on the project but I sort of doubt I can get the Priority 1 stuff done in a weekend rental. But I wouldn't know what the productivity would be until I give it a try. With the rented trencher I could have the backhoe ready to assist as needed. With the subsoiler I'd have to switch implements which takes forever.

With the trencher going down 36" I can lay power and water in the same trench with 12" of cover between them vertically. With the subsoiler I would have to cut twice to get separation horizontally.

So that's the conundrum, any advice or experiences to share?

A fourth option would be to rent a tracked bobcat with a trencher attachment but the expense goes way up needing to rent the machine too.

There's a photo of the triumphant tractor having excavated the site for my new machine shed. Its structural brick around the unbackfilled sides and block where there is backfill.

David

View attachment 499684View attachment 499685View attachment 499686

ABSOLUTELY the trencher,...unless you have rock.
I did exactly what you are planning,.... a few years ago.
I have a backhoe, but the trencher was the perfect tool.
Trencher is fast too!

/ Subsoiler or trencher for utilities install? #6  
Score another vote for the trencher. Subsoiler will not work the way you are hoping. Trencher will work quicker than a backhoe by a long shot.

/ Subsoiler or trencher for utilities install? #8  
   / Subsoiler or trencher for utilities install? #9  
Skip the trencher and subsoiler. The water will need to be 30-36" (6-12" below frost line) and deeper under a driveway or other areas that snow is compacted and or removed. If you want it all in one trench you are looking at digging a 16-18" wide trench. The electrical and data should be at least a foot apart and the water will be 12+" below the 2 conduits.

The riding trenchers are about as expensive to rent as the backhoe and about 1/4-1/2 the speed. I'd bet you could hire it dug for a good price. Then use what you have to backfill.
Try and find an underground or utility contractor who uses a trencher for 30+" 16-18" wide trenches- typically it's a backhoe or an excavator.

/ Subsoiler or trencher for utilities install?
All good answers and pretty much what I knew but wanted some confirmation. Trencher it is, might use the backhoe in areas I believe have lots of roots/rocks.

I'm sure I could hire it but I actually like doing this stuff, hence the renting the machine and taking the punishment. I'll have my backhoe standing by if we hit something huge. There are some rocks down there in the clay, I haven't found any major ones digging test pits but I know they're out there.

Frost depth is 24" and the existing water lines are much shallower than that. I'm going back through the code now but as I remember I could run water at 24"; power at 12", and network anywhere below 6" with best practice having separation from power of 12"; which would put it down by the water. I'll confirm I'm code compliant before breaking ground.