Anybody ever build a sod cutter?

/ Anybody ever build a sod cutter? #2  
"Subscribed". I want to skim & u'cut virtual curbs I inherited along both sides of my gravel d'way from plowing snow with a truck. (yeah, I know ..)

I keep thinking a variation, or mod, of a 3PH dirt scoop would be my starting point to build a sod cutter, maybe an alternate scoop pinned into the framework. Alternately, couldn't a knife of certain width be made for a sub-soiler and strips sliced to be rolled?

/ Anybody ever build a sod cutter? #3  
I like the idea of starting with a 3 point dirt scoop. Bolt a smooth coulter to each side of the scoop (to cut the sides of the sod cleanly). Drive with the scoop facing backwards and bolt a section of grader blade (sharp edge facing forward) to the bottom of the dirt scoop horizontally about 2" below the level of the bottom of the dirt scoop. That way, you can leave the 3 point lever all the way down and it can't run too deep (the scoop's original bottom would "float" along the surface of the ground while the grader blade sliced the ground about 2" below the surface).

/ Anybody ever build a sod cutter? #4  
You mean kinda like this thing? Undercutter potato digger.jpg

No...don't remember where I saved it from.

Think I would put it on a Dual bar frame, that cutter on the back bar and put 3 disk cutting blades on front bar to make your rolls

This was on TBN. you might PM Madmikesmech about HIS sod cutter

Last edited:
   / Anybody ever build a sod cutter? #5  
You mean kinda like this thing?View attachment 508328

No...don't remember where I saved it from.

The item in the photo is most likely a deep rooted vegetable lifter for loosening carrots (or?)

The shanks are unnecessarily long for a sod cutter.
Terry

/ Anybody ever build a sod cutter? #6  
I didn't bother building a sod cutter. I bought this one in 1990.

IMG_1009.JPG

/ Anybody ever build a sod cutter? #7  
The item in the photo is most likely a deep rooted vegetable lifter for loosening carrots (or?)

The shanks are unnecessarily long for a sod cutter.
Terry

Yes, you are right....potatoes, to be exact. But you could put sharper blades on this and RSKY was Lookin for ideas.

/ Anybody ever build a sod cutter? #9  
I just use the bucket on my tractor...

My tractor has plenty of traction to drive ahead slowly, keeping the buckets cutting edge just under the sod...

SR