Another Fence Thread

/ Another Fence Thread #11  
Don't use the welded wire, it's junk. I've used both a diamond no-climb fence product, and the rectangular Red Brand no-climb sold at TSC. I definitely prefer the stretch of the Red Brand.

/ Another Fence Thread #12  
any of these fences will probably keep in your dogs, keeping stuff out os more difficult. Put an electric wire outside , low, and at the top. Keeps critters from digging under or climbing over. Also will deter any two legged critters from climbing, so fence will not sag.

/ Another Fence Thread #13  
Last year I added mesh to the barbed wire surrounding the 2 acre homestead to keep our dogs in and critters out. I used the High Tensile Field Fence, 14 ga., 47 in x 330 ft. from TSC and Atwoods (cleaned TSC out). I have been very happy with it. Although it is only 4 feet high, my dogs and the critters outside don't jump it. Humans are another issue, but they will trash anything they climb and you will be doing a repair at any rate...might as well save the money up front and repair as needed. I had a human issue on another section of fence a couple of years ago and ended up installing a stinger wire even with the top wire but mounted on the inside of the posts and spaced 2 inches in. Pretty cheap deterrent for casual intruders.

Personally, I think 6 foot fences are a waste of money and look weird. I don't think you gain much from that considerable cost increase. I've never seen anything jump my 4 foot, and deer will jump an 8 foot.

/ Another Fence Thread #14  
Last year I added mesh to the barbed wire surrounding the 2 acre homestead to keep our dogs in and critters out. I used the High Tensile Field Fence, 14 ga., 47 in x 330 ft. from TSC and Atwoods (cleaned TSC out). I have been very happy with it. Although it is only 4 feet high, my dogs and the critters outside don't jump it. Humans are another issue, but they will trash anything they climb and you will be doing a repair at any rate...might as well save the money up front and repair as needed. I had a human issue on another section of fence a couple of years ago and ended up installing a stinger wire even with the top wire but mounted on the inside of the posts and spaced 2 inches in. Pretty cheap deterrent for casual intruders.

Personally, I think 6 foot fences are a waste of money and look weird. I don't think you gain much from that considerable cost increase. I've never seen anything jump my 4 foot, and deer will jump an 8 foot.

Are your dogs little and fat? Lol. Just kidding.

/ Another Fence Thread
Right? Lol...

Around here we have coyotes like crazy. Local consensus is that a coyote will clear a 5' fence, and can touch off the top wire/plank to get over a 5-1/2" fence. They'll either pass on a 6-footer or dig under. This is based on the experience of the locals (many of them with bait, aka chickens). Without bait, they tend to move on to easier pickins.

My boxer dog sire could (and repeatedly did) get over a 6' cedar plank privacy fence - he'd jump, hook his paws over the top and use momentum and pull to get over.

/ Another Fence Thread #16  

Lol, no, they're 100 lb GSDs. They could definitely jump the 4 foot fence if they wanted to, but thus far, they respect it. If they ever do take to jumping it, life will change here dramatically. I figure if I keep them well fed and happy, they'll respect my largely psychological barrier.

As for the coyotes, there is nothing particularly enticing on my homestead. On the contrary, I have 3 big dogs that are quite protective of their turf and are out any time they want (big dog doors). I recognize that if I had poultry, I would have coyotes jumping that fence, but then I would be penning them at night, and the dogs would still provide a deterrent.

It's the 4 foot mesh fence that the dogs respect that allows me to let them roam the homestead 24/7. Without the perimeter fence as a primary means of separating the critters from the dogs, there's no way I could have the dog doors. So far it's working out very well.

Having said that, there was one gate I hadn't meshed and my 4 year old male tangled with a coyote last week. I have now meshed the gate.