Anyone have any experience repairing Shelter Logic Portable Garages?

/ Anyone have any experience repairing Shelter Logic Portable Garages? #1  

newbury

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota's - B7610, M4700
I bought a SL 10x20 years ago, it was nice until a STRONG wind flipped it over. I was in the process of moving stuff to Mississippi and actually watched it flip from about 70 yards away. Im moved the remains to Mississippi.
Last year my son bought another, primarily to store my B7610 that I've loaned him.
Last little snow and ice storm apparently it collapsed. I'm expecting frame damage and some tarp tears. But we need to fix it because it shelters my B7610.

I'm thinking of repairing frame with pvc pipe duct taped to the original frame members.
Tarp repair with heat gun and tarp repair tape.

Any better suggestions?

/ Anyone have any experience repairing Shelter Logic Portable Garages? #2  
Mine collapsed during its first winter, breaking several poles and bending others, and putting a couple of big, long rips in the cover. I couldn't figure a cost-effective way to fix it so it would survive our winters.
Good luck.

/ Anyone have any experience repairing Shelter Logic Portable Garages? #3  
I would look into a metal carport for $695.00 put up and then cover the sides with metal.

/ Anyone have any experience repairing Shelter Logic Portable Garages? #4  
If you are going the duct tape route I believe you will also need bailing wire.

/ Anyone have any experience repairing Shelter Logic Portable Garages? #5  
Perhaps electrical thin wall conduit (EMT) or PVC sized to slip over or into existing poles would be a bit sturdier than duct tape?

/ Anyone have any experience repairing Shelter Logic Portable Garages? #6  
I had 2 of those years ago. Had them end to end so it was 10x40. During the first winter I left for work one morning and by the time I got home I found both had collapsed from snow weight. We had 14" of snow fall in an 8 hour period and they could not handle the weight. The collapse damaged the roof of a classic car inside. In my area I cannot use these portable garages unless you are onsite to keep the snow cleaned off. I scrapped mine and the next spring added an 18 x 32 pole barn to the back of my original garage. I'll never buy one again.
I'm sure you have less snow than I and if I were to attempt to strengthen a portable garage I would double or triple the uprights and peak poles with thicker poles. Can't help on the tarp repairs other than replace with one of the heavy duty thick mil tarps that HF sells.

/ Anyone have any experience repairing Shelter Logic Portable Garages?
Mine collapsed during its first winter, breaking several poles and bending others, and putting a couple of big, long rips in the cover. I couldn't figure a cost-effective way to fix it so it would survive our winters.
Good luck.

Mine had survived several winters and several times I moved it to different places in the yard, thus not killing the lawn in any one place. I moved it down to Mississippi because I've several parcels of land I need to work at and they have great places to set it up as a temp shelter. And down there - in the woods - no fear of winds or snow load.

I've worked extensively with the military shelters in about the same size range and like the ability to move the shelters around.

/ Anyone have any experience repairing Shelter Logic Portable Garages? #8  
The S-L SUV garage I have has stood up to my winters for the past 4 winters. NO babysitting needed. Snow slides right off with the aid of a gentle tap on the underside/inside. The vibrations from my tractor warming up is enough to get the snow sliding.
The S-L garage in a box that I bought 6 years ago has given up the ghost and was on its' second roof which only lasted 1 full winter. The Garage in a box I will never buy again and it will be replaced with a S-U-V shelter this spring.

As for fixing what you got, I would scrap it and get the SUV shelter. Higher door and hip roof design besides the bigger space inside are my reasons.

/ Anyone have any experience repairing Shelter Logic Portable Garages? #9  
I have one im guessing its about 6 or 7 years old now the tarp is shot need to replace it this summer... I'm in northern Ontario and snow load is a big issue for sure... I try to get out to where its at about every 2-3 weeks in the winter season and pull the snow.... what I did was salvage the frame work from a neighbours shed that had blown away and doubled up my frame...therefore cutting my spans in half.. was quite easily done actually..these things aren't made for snow load at all and the sag inbetween the frame rails just holds onto snow! the more frame you can add the less sag! anyhow need to start looking for a new one as I believe its just as cheap to buy the whole thing as it is the tarp!. oh I also got some cheap ratchet straps from the dollar store and added an x brace to the back wall which keeps it a lot sturdier. same could probably be done on the ceiling...might look at that.

/ Anyone have any experience repairing Shelter Logic Portable Garages? #10  
The S-L SUV garage I have has stood up to my winters for the past 4 winters. NO babysitting needed. Snow slides right off with the aid of a gentle tap on the underside/inside. The vibrations from my tractor warming up is enough to get the snow sliding.
The S-L garage in a box that I bought 6 years ago has given up the ghost and was on its' second roof which only lasted 1 full winter. The Garage in a box I will never buy again and it will be replaced with a S-U-V shelter this spring.

As for fixing what you got, I would scrap it and get the SUV shelter. Higher door and hip roof design besides the bigger space inside are my reasons.

I also have 2 of these Shelter Logic SUV garages. I agree with Looking4new regarding the shedding of snow...they also withstand the wind quite well if anchored properly. They are excellent units and I would say the best ones from S.L....twister