Going on the Grid-How much?

/ Going on the Grid-How much? #1  

fitter1

Silver Member
Tractor
2n, jd990
Just got a price from local power co. for my property in Groton Vt. $20K for 4 poles @ 1200ft. I'm on a private road that I maintain. Currently I use solar and I'm on my third generator that powers well pump and power tools. I've had enough, but 20k for power seems outrages. For anyone in the NEK are there any independent power line contractors that can install poles in this area? Thanks in advance...Ken

/ Going on the Grid-How much? #2  
I had to have local power co. set 5 poles to get power to a property I bought 11 years ago. Cost to me was $5K. Don't know what it would cost today but estimate might be 7-9k? Poles, lines, and transformer owned by power co. and had to be installed by them.

/ Going on the Grid-How much? #3  
That's not bad... my quote was $40k for the same distance. Plus, I still need to get the power from the transformer to the building. If I could put the trench in I could get that number down to 10k, but they won't let me. Even asked about having a qualified contractor and the answer again was no. So it's generators for me.

Instead of a cheapie gas generator, look for a slow speed diesel unit. The small ones are a bit hard to find, but they pop up occasionally when they're upgraded commercially. Typically these units have very low hours for their vintage, but they've been exceptionally well maintained. With LED lighting becoming more popular, I believe that solar will have a greater chance of being practical in the future. Sadly, you'll still need the generator for the pump and power tools. Even an Aeromotor windmill is stupid expensive.

/ Going on the Grid-How much? #4  
I have heard of similar prices for power hook-ups in Northern NY.I have friends that built a new house before pricing power,they ended up going solar/generator(propane) with propane frig.Wood and propane for heat.

/ Going on the Grid-How much? #5  
Every utility charges different for hook-ups. Ask for a price breakdown. You should be able to hire a different contractor to set poles etc and the utility (sometimes the contractor) just puts on the wire and transformer.
Another option is to go underground. You should be able to do the conduit and pull boxes yourself or hire a contractor.
I paid about 10k for a poles, transformer and wire for 800' or so. Seems the pole was about $1500, transformer was $4000 and the rest was wire and fees.
With those prices you have $6000 in poles and $4000 for a transformer alone.
I was told I was lucky because the other utility in my area would charge more.

/ Going on the Grid-How much?
My next generator would have or will be a water cooled 1800rpm diesel with heat reclaim for hot water baseboard heat. For power line cost, I can build a 24x24 garage and a diesel generator. But I'm so tired of the noise and who wants to smell diesel fumes all the time. Over the years power cost 8.5k, 12.5k and now 20k. That 40k price does take the sting out a bit.. I do need to dig up insulate and heat trace 140ft of well water line this summer so I can have water year round, due to ledge. Hence utility power. Plus I can have a phone line installed, no cell service.

/ Going on the Grid-How much? #7  
I've moved a pole by myself using a rented backhoe with a narrow bucket but that was for low-tension 100' lines. The holes I dug (one to remove the pole and one for the new location) were three straight sided and a slope to the bottom on the forth side. To remove the pole, I pushed it over into the slope side and drug it out with a chain. For the new location, I laid the pole into the slope, raised it, braced it then back filled. Keep the slope side perpendicular to your pole load line (wire line) so that there's no side load on the fill side. It's been up over 20 years and hasn't moved.

I have no idea what setting your own poles would save but I would ask but power companies can set a pole in less than half an hour. I watched them put up new HT lines along my property line a few years ago. I think the big cost would be the insulators and wiring. For 1200', those four poles are going to be big though. A guy down the road has about a 1200' run of high tension line. They used aluminum poles on concrete foundations. That can't be cheap.

/ Going on the Grid-How much? #8  
Another option is to go underground. You should be able to do the conduit and pull boxes yourself or hire a contractor.
It may be for commercial property only but I thought underground HT lines had to be covered in concrete or have concrete boxing. I seem to recall something like that. Just in case someone comes along later and digs along the line.

/ Going on the Grid-How much? #9  
Mine is underground- no concrete. It's actually only 1 wire to the transformer. They set the transformer near the panel and meter which is between the house and shop. The standard 3 wires from transformer to meter.
Each utility sets their standards for their area. They have basic guidelines like the NEC but can modify with a lot of latitude. So maybe that's where the concrete came from. I've worked in a few jurisdictions and have never needed concrete. The code does provide for concrete cover if your aren't able to get the required depth.

/ Going on the Grid-How much? #10  
I'm in Maine, but they allowed me to install 7 poles. I used a contractor (a retired power Co. lineman) He supplied and built everything for about 1800' (on my land) for $10k. This work all get's inspected and approved prior to energizing by the utility. The power needed to be brought down the state road 3 poles (existing) but no electric on them. That was work the utility had to do and that part was also $10k ??
If you are not allowed to use a contractor, will they allow a meter at the road at the first pole on your private road, similar to elec. service for a mobile home, then at that point you do as you please to your home? Might check with the local "code officer"/building inspector for recommendations. I'm sure your not the first guy in this situation. It was a lot of money, but you'll smile every time you just "flick" the light switch.