Barn Renovaion

/ Barn Renovaion #11  
On youtube search for Moving barn with horses......Amish moved a barn that size with Horse Teams....

/ Barn Renovaion
5 acres is small....That barn and it's Needs is Nowhere Near Small......BUT....she will be worth it, when your done...

As for the concrete block wall, tuck and remortar it. Dig the old mortar out on oneside and put in new, when it is good and set up, do the other side.

Those old barns use to be sided with Board and Slat.. You have the 12" wide boards, what is missing is the slats. Slats were 3" boards that were nailed over the seams of the 12" upright boards and there was a space behind the Slat that let the barn "Breathe", like KTHOMPSON said.

AND NO....OSB....that would be like repainting your truck with a Paint Brush......You just Wouldn't do it......would you?

Make us Proud, Son

Thanks for the input. I know 5 acres is small, but it sure beats a city lot! That is all we can afford right now, another $200k to get a house with 20 acres is out of the question.

What kind of wood would be used for the slats?

/ Barn Renovaion #13  
Thanks for the input. I know 5 acres is small, but it sure beats a city lot! That is all we can afford right now, another $200k to get a house with 20 acres is out of the question.

What kind of wood would be used for the slats?

Sorry...wasn't Dissing your 5 acres, I have 4 1/2, it's on edge of town, city water, Nat. gas, but Not in city limits.....Like you, would love to have 40.....Thats a big barn and a lot of work...looks to have a great roof tho, thats a Big Bonus.

As for type of wood, I would see what you could get at a sawmill up there. I know WI. has a few mills and they would be able to put you on the right track. Just tell them what your doing. Lots of barns used oak, pine, whatever was locally abundant.

That barn is a Huge selling point if you ever decide to sell, so don't cut corners in your restoration of her..OSB BOARD, that would say to me,(if I was looking at buying) that this guy does things the Cheap Way......I'm Not Trying to PUT YOU DOWN, I'm just saying, research your piece of History You Own and put it back Original.

And enjoy your Journey.

Smokin'

/ Barn Renovaion #14  
I just bought a 5 acre hobby farm on Friday! The barn needs a little attention and I was hoping to get some advice.

Some of the upper flooring needs to be replaced. PO put sheets of plywood over the floor. I have to go around and lift each sheet to see which ones are covering holes and which were just there to distribute weight. The flooring in the center of the barn, where the doors are, looks to be actual 1.5" thick T&G planks. On either end, actual 1" thick T&G planks. None of the boards that I've found yet were rotten. My wife thinks I should just replace the entire floor. I just want to replace the broken planks and put 5/8 osb over the entire floor, except in front of the doors I would do plywood as it might get wet from rain if I have the doors open moving stuff in/out. My heavier equipment that would go in the barn, at times, consists of a 14' tandem axle (1400 lbs, plus load), 19' dovetail trailer (4500 lbs, plus load), truck (8200 lbs) and hopefully soon a tractor (4000 lbs).

I'm also planning for additional shop space. Looking at doing a lean-to on the front of the barn, so that the length of it goes along with width of the barn. In my picture, the area highlighted yellow is in rough shape. Most of the mortar between the blocks is gone. Instead of redoing it with blocks, I was wondering if I could remove the blocks (except the bottom course) and frame it out with 2"x6" on 12" centers? This would be done for the entire front side.

The second picture shows a Silo, but I don't see it in the 1st pic. is that a 2nd barn? There is a place like yours up in Wi. and they put a screened in room on top of the silo, it is Awesome...