Finally Getting My Shop

/ Finally Getting My Shop #21  
Tough call between wood and drywall. Drywall is more work to do right (mud, sand, prime, paint) but white walls reflect more light and a bright shop in better in my opinion... not to mention cleaning. I like not to fasten to walls as my shop matures, I rearrange often so hard attachments end up not as permanent as I thought they would be.

I put up ply on my building walls. The plan was to paint it white. Just haven't completed that part of the plan :D yet.

/ Finally Getting My Shop
Eddie, I wired up the plugs because I wanted to test everything before the sheet rock goes up and hides everything. Face plates were added so I could make sure the plugs were centered before I tightened the outlets down. Obviously I will take the plates off before I add the sheet rock. But it gives me a sense of accomplishment when I can check electrical off my list! Plus I now have 16 plugs to use during construction!

Did not have any time to work on the shop today. Spent most of the day getting firewood cages. They normally sell for $75-$100 in CT, and I found a guy 90 minutes from me who only wanted $30. So I picked up 12 which will hold 4 cords which is 1 years worth. Now I can load the cages as I split, and place them on the far side of the barn to season, and then move them inside the barn before the snow flies.

_DSC8968.JPG

/ Finally Getting My Shop #23  
Get those plates to protect the wires going thru the studs.

/ Finally Getting My Shop #24  
In one of our shops we came up 4' with plywood and did the rest dry wall, its worked well so far.

Get those plates to protect the wires going thru the studs.

Thanks Murph. Just added the nail plates to my shopping list.

I'll have to work on the shop in the evenings from now on. My time off work is up, so back to 8-5 starting tomorrow!

Finally had some time to spend on the shop. Added the nail plates over the wires and put in all the insulation. Ready to begin the sheet rock.
_DSC9070.JPG

_DSC9071.JPG

_DSC9072.JPG

Here's the view from the 2 shop windows - some of the best views of any window on the property! The back window looks out over the firepit and pond, and the side window gives me a view of my chicken coop.

_DSC9073.JPG

_DSC9074.JPG

/ Finally Getting My Shop #28  
Looks good. What are you going do to for the ceiling? I always sheetrock the ceiling first, so the wall sheetrock buts up tight under it.

Eddie, I am not planning on anything for the ceiling at this point. That will come at a later date if I decide to fully finish the garage with the goal of having a heated garage (wood or pellet stove). There is no natural stopping point on the ceiling, so I think it would look odd if I only sheetrock a small section and not the entire ceiling. The walls have a garage door and window as natural stopping points to define the shop space.

Sheetrock is up, and I am starting to mud the screws and seams. Also have to build sill extensions on the rear window and the door. Getting closer to having shop!

Eddie, in preparation for someday finishing the ceiling, I left a 5/8 inch gap at the very top of the walls so I can slip in the sheetrock so it is resting on the walls.

_DSC9080.JPG

_DSC9081.JPG

_DSC9082.JPG