Running generators in parallel

/ Running generators in parallel #1  

newbury

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota's - B7610, M4700
In My Ice storm/ generator lessons there was some discussion of running generators in parallel which I would like to explore further.

I've seen 10KW military gens run in parallel and am familiar with the concept of the Honda gensets that run in parallel. But now there are getting to be a number of inverter generators for relatively low cost that claim to be able to parallel. The DuroMax XP2000iS 2000 Watt Digital Inverter Gas Powered Portable Generator is going for $350 and to me having 2 would be handy.

What is the experience of TBN'ers running gensets in parallel?

How easy is it?
Is Honda that much better to justify $2K versus $700 for the same capability?

/ Running generators in parallel #2  
I would not want anything to do with this. There is enough anxiety when on generator back-up already. If the military blows up two (expensive) generators and equipment, they probably laugh and requisition two more.

/ Running generators in parallel #3  
If you run parallel, both gens need the same voltage, same frequency, and same phase angles. I can't imagine any $350 generator that is that smart.

Can you split your load in two, instead? Or, a 4kw genset is only 300$ or so, but no inverter.

/ Running generators in parallel #4  
Not going to save any money. Only advantage if used in a remote location for primary power 24/7.

/ Running generators in parallel #5  
I'd say it mainly comes down to the reliability of the control electronics - Honda or Yamaha should get top marks. Lower cost brands.... I'd be cruising a lot of RV forums to see what stories lay there, as RVs seem to be a big target market - people want the portability of these units, as they may want the extra capacity for AC - but not bothering to set up/run 2 if not needed....

Haven't run a parallel setup myself, but if they use a link cable for the control communication, my question (regardless of brand) is - What happens if they are both running and that cable gets yanked out or cut, or becomes intermittent ?

Rgds, D.

Last edited:
   / Running generators in parallel #6  
No problem at all doing it with a Honda "inverter" generator, they are made to do it and automatically aline themselves to each other...

The Honda 2000 is the inverter gen set, ALL OTHERS are compared to, mine has been reliable as a rock!

SR

/ Running generators in parallel #7  
I guess my first question is why do you want to run in parallel? What is driving you to wanting this configuration? How much power do you need? Do you have two or more distinctly different applications like home backup and portable for camping?

I settled on the EU3000iS. It is the quietest and has longest run time of the Honda generators, it has electric start (easy for wife) and although it heavy for portable transport, it can be loaded up in your truck. Having two gens means double the maintenance.

/ Running generators in parallel #8  
No problem at all doing it with a Honda "inverter" generator, they are made to do it and automatically aline themselves to each other...

The Honda 2000 is the inverter gen set, ALL OTHERS are compared to, mine has been reliable as a rock!

SR

Popular generator, for good reason.

They do require a link cable for dual operation.

Rgds, D.

/ Running generators in parallel #9  
Post 3 and 6 is the key. If they are designed to do that and the gens are connected to ensure the phases and cycles are aligned it will work. Otherwise separate the loads and run two gens.

/ Running generators in parallel #10  
I have 2 Smarter Tools generators I got from Costco 2 years ago. Have a parallel cable and have run the 2 in parallel several times to fire up an A/C in the 5th wheel. Two 2000w gens will out power a single 3000w. It comes down to 3200 vs 2800w. Also with 2 you can take one or both and easier to carry.

Mine is plenty quiet, powered by Yamaha engine. It can sit for several months and starts with 1-2 pulls. They are inverter gens. Honda might be first and may or may not be the best but they are the most expensive.

I have zero regrets on my purchase.

Last edited: